Coronavirus Update:What patients and families need to know
Behavioral Pain Medicine
Applicants have the opportunity to choose a particular track of interest and all tracks include interdisciplinary evaluation/consult clinics and short-term individual therapy.
- Pediatric Pain Management Track: This position consists of primary training in our outpatient chronic pain clinic, treating youth with a wide range of chronic pain problems including but not limited to: headaches, abdominal pain, complex regional pain syndrome, myofacial pain and autonomic disorders. Clinical activities include interdisciplinary intake evaluations, consultations, brief outpatient treatment, collaboration with schools and care coordination. This track is available in multiple locations, including the main hospital in D.C., Rockville, MD and Fairfax, VA. Supervisors: Kelsey Borner, Ph.D., Angela Fletcher, Psy.D., and Laura Gray, Ph.D.
- Headache Track: This position includes one day working as part of the interdisciplinary chronic headache team. Externs will work as part of the headache team along with neurologists to conduct interdisciplinary evaluations and team consults to develop treatment plans necessary to restore functioning and prevent disability associated with chronic headaches. Clinical activities include interdisciplinary intake evaluations, consultations, brief outpatient treatment, collaboration with schools and care coordination. Note: this track is dedicated to Wednesdays at the main hospital in Washington, D.C., with Angela Fletcher, Psy.D., serving as the supervisor.
- Concussion Track: One day per week, the extern will provide evaluations for patients with a range of physical, behavioral/emotional and sleep disturbance symptoms following a concussion (mild traumatic brain injury). The extern will have the opportunity to collaborate with the other members of the team including neuropsychologists, neurologists, schools and physical therapists. Note: This track is dedicated to Tuesdays at the Rockville (Shady Grove) location with Laura Gray, Ph.D., serving as the supervisor.
Applicants must be in at least the third year of a doctoral program with experience in child and adolescent therapy and documented interest in gaining advanced experience in a medical/pediatric setting.
Two to three externs will be recruited for this externship.
Please specify your preferred track in your letter of interest, curriculum vitae and two letters of recommendation directly from recommenders via email to:
Kelsey Borner, Ph.D., Division of Pain Medicine | Email
Children’s National Hospital — 111 Michigan Avenue NW, Washington, DC 20010
Some tracks may require clinic days at the satellite locations in Rockville, MD and Fairfax, VA. Flexibility with location is important, as based on clinic needs, locations may change.
Externships are one year and will occur from July 2021-June 2022; anticipated to consist of eight to 16 hours per week.
- Wednesdays are required for the Headache Clinic Track
- Tuesdays are required for the Concussion Track
Other possible clinic days for the Pain Management Track are Mondays, Tuesdays and Thursdays. Minimum one day per week required.
Please note: Externs are encouraged to participate in two different tracks if interested. For example, an extern can dedicate one day to the headache track and one day to pain management or concussion track.
Make an Appointment
Children's National in Your Neighborhood
Did you know we have 4 locations in Northern Virginia?
Find a Children's Location Near You
Find a Provider