What patients and families need to know
Family Advisory Network
Families are included in local Emergency Medical Services for Children (EMSC) programs through the Family Advisory Network (FAN). Network members contribute to the city's program activities in numerous ways, such as by:
- Serving as members,chair and co-chairs of their state EMSC advisory committees
- Coordinating special community outreach projects
- Assisting with the development and implementation of EMSC policy objectives
- Helping to plan, present and promote educational offerings within their state
Family Advisory Network Projects
- Safe Kids D.C. – commits to helping children and families prevent injury and injury-related death in children and youth through educational programs and outreach activities
- Medical Orders for Scope of Treatment (MOST) – empowers terminally-ill patients with the right to make decisions on their end-of-life care options, in consultation with their D.C.-licensed authorized health care provider.
- Emergency Medical Services Advisory Committee – provides advice on best practices in emergency medical services (EMS) across the country, which is used in establishing performance goals for EMS in Washington, D.C.
Children's National FAN Members
- Cynthiana Lightfoot, lead member; previously served for more than 16 years as the program manager for EMSC-DC.
- Elva Anderson
- Karen Gay
- Donnie Shaw