COVID-19 Update:Learn where you can get your child vaccinated, as well as other important facts about COVID-19.
We've gone paperless:Read more about how this will impact you and your practice.
Refer a Patient
Learn more about Direct
Engage with Our Team through Direct Messaging
When your patient needs to see a specialist, you can connect with us via Direct Messaging, or secure email, to learn the best specialty options for your patient.
Important Referral Information
If you need assistance scheduling a specialty visit or clinical guidance managing the care of one of your patients, please contact us at one of the numbers below. Our referral guidelines will help you determine if care from one of our specialists is needed.
- Physician Access Line: 202-476-4880. Children’s National specialists are available for consultations Monday – Friday from 8 a.m. – 5 p.m.
- Hospital Operators: 202-476-5000. Monday – Friday from 5 p.m. – 8 a.m. Available all day Saturday and Sunday.
- Emergency Department Transfer Center: 202-476-LIFE (5433). Available 24/7.
- Direct Admit: 202-476-LIFE (5433). Available 24/7. Direct admissions require pre-authorization by payors. Email our Bear Direct Case Managers for assistance.
- Physician Referral Line: 202-476-4418. Physician liaisons monitor voicemails Monday – Friday from 8 a.m. – 5 p.m.
Health care providers can share patient exams with us on the lifeIMAGE Network.
Referring a Patient During the COVID-19 Pandemic
To keep everyone safe, we have instituted strict safety regulations including mandatory mask usage, handwashing and social distancing. We are open and providing care to patients at the main campus and at our specialty care locations. We also offer video visits in most clinics for those who prefer to stay at home.
View our resources
Consult and Referral Resources
Learn about our Physician Access Line for consulting with our experts, view our physician directory or access the Children's National Physician Portal. You can also request a referral pad and view fact sheets about our specialty care locations.
Refer an International Patient
Our Global Services team is ready to help you refer your international patients to Children's National Hospital. Be sure to visit our international patient website to learn all we have to offer this diverse patient population.
Download Maryland Referral Pads
2021 Outpatient Appointment Referral Pads for Maryland are available in English and in Spanish.
Download Northern Virginia Referral Pads
2021 Outpatient Appointment Referral Pads for Northern Virginia are available in English and in Spanish.