Diagnostics and disease monitoring is the cornerstone of modern medicine. All inpatient and outpatient medical and surgical care depends on access to advanced diagnostics as well as having the ability to monitor disease over time. Many aspects of pediatric diagnostic medicine are affected by the unique aspects of caring for children.
Our specialists perform vital diagnostic, therapeutic and blood collection services for all patients at our hospital, as well as at our outpatient centers and mobile health units in the Washington, D.C., metropolitan area. Using state-of-the-art technologies and techniques, our team completes more than 1,000,000 tests annually to assist physicians in confirming a diagnosis or in monitoring the effectiveness of a child’s treatment.
Pathology and Laboratory Medicine Services
Anatomic Pathology Service
Diagnosis of diseases from tissue biopsies and bodily fluids is done at the main hospital on the first floor Monday-Friday from 8 a.m. - 5 p.m. For more information, please call 202-476-2051. If it is after business hours or the weekend, please call 202-259-0784.
Blood Draw Service
These services are done at the main hospital on the second floor during the following times:
- Monday, Wednesday - Friday: 8 a.m. - 6 p.m.
- Tuesday: 7 a.m. - 6 p.m.
- Saturday: 10 a.m. - 2 p.m.
- Sunday: Closed
- Official government holidays: Closed
- Other Children's National locations: Hours vary according to the clinic hours, please reach out to them directly for questions.
We understand that having blood drawn can be stressful for our special needs patients. We provide phlebotomy expertise, compassion and distraction techniques to make the experience as positive as possible. For more information about our blood draw services after business hours, contact 202-476-2226.
The Blood Donor Center
An integral part of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine is The Blood Donor Center, which collects thousands of whole blood and apheresis platelet donations that support the more than 13,000 life-saving and life-enhancing procedures performed each year to help Children’s National patients.
Learn more about becoming a volunteer blood donor.
Additional Laboratory Services
- Bedside testing: for rapid test results for our most critically ill patients
- Biochemical testing: for diagnosis and monitoring of inborn errors of metabolism
- Blood bank: for providing blood and other products for transfusion
- Flow cytometry: characterizes different types of blood cells for diagnosis of immunodeficiency or leukemia
- Hematopathology: for diagnosis of leukemia and lymphoma
- Microbiology testing: for employing conventional culture, detection of antimicrobial resistance & molecular infectious disease tests
- Molecular diagnostics: for diagnosis of genetic diseases and cancer
- Reference laboratory services for rare diseases
- Sweat testing: we are a Cystic Fibrosis Foundation-accredited site
- Testing for organ systems and disease categories: allergy, endocrine, cardiac, gastrointestinal, muscular, neurological, hepatic, pulmonary, autoimmune/immunology, malignant, renal, etc.
- Therapeutic medication monitoring
- Transfusion medicine consultation
- Transplant-related testing
To speak with a member of the Pathology team, please call 202-476-2051. To speak with a member of the Laboratory Medicine team, please call 202-476-5915.