COVID-19 Update:Learn more about how we are protecting our patients, families and staff, as well as other important facts about COVID-19.
Resources for Families
We want to make sure our patients and families understand how to manage inflammatory bowel disease so they are empowered to lead healthy, productive and enjoyable lives.
Education starts at the time of diagnosis, involving both the child and family. Your child remains in our care even when he or she is no longer a “child.” Our patient education, from diagnosis to adult transition, focuses on:
- Understanding the disease
- Understanding medications, including dosages and how to have prescriptions filled
- Finding a doctor at college or in a new city
- Understanding symptoms and when to call a doctor
- Optimizing nutrition
- Managing emotions that often accompany life with a chronic disease
- Providing support and navigation through difficult work and school situations
Surgery for Children: Family Resources
Our goal is to maximize the quality of our patients’ lives and ease the stress on families. Children’s National provides many family-centered services because we understand that when a child is ill, it affects the entire family.
Learn more about: