The Division of Endocrinology and Diabetes at Children's National Health System is ranked by U.S. News & World Report as one of the top 10 programs in the nation. We are a nationally recognized leader in treating a variety of endocrine disorders. Our team is dedicated to providing quality care and innovative treatment to our patients.
Choosing Children’s National for Endocrinology and Diabetes Care
Children’s National has a dedicated team of endocrinologists that have the expertise to recognize, diagnose and treat your child’s complex endocrine disorders. This in-depth knowledge allows us to take a holistic approach to your child’s care, anticipating his or her needs before, during and after an issue is discovered.
Highlights of our program include:
- Innovative research that can help your child today. Our physicians practice ‘bench-to-bedside’ care, using their research knowledge and findings to inform your child’s treatment. We offer access to many clinical trials and participate in a number of studies for kids with undiagnosed growth disorders.
- Unparalleled expertise and care. Our multidisciplinary team not only includes board-certified endocrinologists and diabetes educators, but we also have nutritionists, social workers, physical therapists and psychologists. Everyone works hand-in-hand to ensure that your child’s physical, mental and emotional needs are being met. Meet the team and learn about our related care services.
- Diabetes Program (Childhood and Adolescent). Children’s National is home to one of the nation’s leading American Diabetes Association (ADA) recognized diabetes programs. From carefully planning meals, to remembering to check blood sugar levels, we focus on educating our patients and their families on how to manage diabetes.
- Support services. We offer specialized classes and nutritional offerings for children with endocrine disorders, including diabetes. Our state-of-the-art Diabetes Care Complex provides all of the support services that families need in one location. In addition to exam rooms, there are classrooms for education sessions about medication management, a teaching kitchen for food demonstrations, a gym for personalized exercise instruction, telemedicine capabilities for families who live farther away and a multipurpose room that gives us the ability to perform clinical trials and intravenous infusions.
- Conditions we treat. There is a reason that thousands of parents entrust their children to our care at Children's National. Paired with our exceptional care and expert specialist, we treat a wide variety of endocrine conditions.
Specialized Endocrinology and Diabetes Programs
We take a team approach to care, where all specialties and departments are integrated to offer the best care for each patient and family. Learn more about the specialized services we provide:
Reproductive Endocrine Clinic
We offer the only multidisciplinary Reproductive Endocrine Clinic for young girls and teens in the Washington, D.C., metropolitan area. This complex clinic ensures easy access to specialists in both pediatric gynecology and endocrinology in a single visit, facilitating the diagnosis and treatment of a wide range of conditions. Learn more about the Reproductive Endocrine Clinic.
Thyroid Nodule Clinic
When an enlarged thyroid nodule is suspected or after the condition is confirmed, your child’s doctor may refer you to our multidisciplinary team. Our team can help diagnose, treat and coordinate related care, and we do not require a lab test from patients to be seen.
The Thyroid Nodule Clinic (TNC) ensures that your child has easy access to specialists in pediatric endocrinology, interventional radiology, nuclear medicine, cancer genetics, pathology, radiology and surgery to help them effectively manage thyroid nodule conditions.
The TNC is coordinated by Priya Vaidyanathan, M.D., who is a pediatric endocrinologist at Children's National and an adult endocrinologist at MedStar Washington Hospital Center, which enables us to monitor your child’s condition over time as he or she transitions to adult care. This gives your child the option to see an endocrinologist who knows their medical history when they reach adulthood.
The Endocrine-Genetics Clinic is staffed by Eric Vilain, M.D., Ph.D. Dr. Vilain is an expert in both pediatric endocrinology and genetics. In this clinic, he cares for patients with endocrine manifestations of disorders affecting multiple systems such as Klinefelter Syndrome or McCune-Albright syndrome. He also performs genetic studies to determine the cause of rare endocrine disorders. The clinic provides diagnostic testing and counseling services as well as treatment of the endocrine disorder.
Positive Reevaluation of Urogenital Differences (PROUD) Clinic
The PROUD Clinic provides specialized diagnostic, evaluation and treatment services for children with a variety of rare and complex diseases. It is led by Veronica Gomez-Lobo, M.D., who works closely with specialists in pediatric endocrinology, urology, gynecology, genetics and psychiatry to create an individual care plan for every patient and family, ranging from prenatal diagnoses to adolescence. Our services include genetic counseling, genetic testing, surgical reconstruction, hormonal therapy and psychological and psychosocial support.
Turner Syndrome Clinic
The Turner Syndrome Clinic provides comprehensive, multidisciplinary care for girls with Turner Syndrome, ensuring that they have access to specialists from endocrinology, genetics, cardiology, pediatric gynecology and psychology in a single visit. The clinical team led by Roopa Kanakatti Shankar, M.D., works closely with a network of additional specialties at Children’s National such as neuropsychology, ENT, audiology, orthopedics, urology, ophthalmology and dentistry to help families manage the medical and developmental needs of girls with this condition. Our goal is to treat, support and empower girls with Turner syndrome to achieve their full potential.
The clinic is held on the fourth Monday of every month at the Washington Nationals Diabetes Care Complex at our main hospital. For more information about the clinic and/or to schedule an appointment, please contact the Endocrinology and Diabetes team at 202-476-5631 or Oretha Johnson, RN, at 202-476-4037.
To schedule an appointment with Endocrinology and Diabetes or one of our specialized programs, please call us at 202-476-3440.
We are training the next generation of endocrine specialists at Children's National. Our dynamic fellowship program provides in-depth experience and education to ensure you become exceptional leaders and researchers within the field of pediatric endocrinology.