COVID-19 Update:Learn where you can get your child vaccinated, as well as other important facts about COVID-19.
Clinical Nutrition Services
Experts in Nutritional Care
We understand how important your child's diet is to their health and growth, which is why our board-certified dietitians collaborate closely with our inpatient and outpatient teams.
Meet the team
Clinical Nutrition Services at Children’s National Hospital provides evidence-based medical nutrition therapy to assist in your child's growth, development, disease prevention and disease management across inpatient and outpatient settings.
As credentialed food and nutrition experts, our registered dietitian nutritionists (RDNs) stay up-to-date on the latest research, nutrition interventions and safety standards to ensure that your child receives the highest level of care.
Choosing Children’s National for Your Child's Nutritional Needs
Highlights of our program include:
- Nationally-recognized specialists. As one of only a few dedicated pediatric teams in the area, our team of nutrition experts work closely with some of the world’s most renowned physicians, researchers and health professionals to develop a personalized, therapeutic approach for treating and managing your child's disease, while helping them establish lifelong healthy lifestyle habits.
- Variety of specialty care services and programs. We offer comprehensive inpatient and outpatient care through our numerous specialty programs with teams whose area of expertise is in working with patients with that specific condition.
- Accessible care. Our specialty programs, which are by referral only and outpatient nutrition clinics are available on an outpatient basis at the main hospital and various satellite offices conveniently located throughout Washington, D.C., Maryland and Virginia.
Our Specialty Care Programs and Services
During your child’s hospital stay, our registered dietitian nutritionists will administer medical nutrition therapy as part of a healthcare team to reduce risk of malnutrition and assist in your child’s recovery back to good health. Inpatient nutrition services are offered within the following departments:
- Adolescent Medicine
- Adolescent Psychiatric Unit (APU)/Child Psychiatric Unit (CPU)
- Bone Marrow Transplantation
- Cardiac Intensive Care Unit
- Endocrinology and Diabetes
- General and Thoracic Surgery
- Inborn Errors of Metabolism
- Eating Disorders
- Intestinal Rehabilitation
- Neonatal Intensive Care Unit
- Pediatric Intensive Care Unit
Our registered dietitian nutritionists administer medical nutrition therapy as part of the health care team in the following specialty multidisciplinary clinics. Patients must be referred to these clinics by a primary care doctor or other provider. Learn more about each clinic, and ask your doctor if you believe your child can benefit from one of these programs.
Consult with a registered dietitian nutritionist to improve your child’s eating habits, address weight concerns (such as underweight, poor weight gain or overweight) or manage your child's condition (such as diabetes, high cholesterol/lipids, tube feeding, food allergies or renal/nephrology) using simple lifestyle changes. Patients can receive care at the main hospital or at one of our specialty care locations.
For more information or to schedule an appointment with one of our outpatient nutrition clinics, please call 202-476-2327.
For questions about Clinical Nutrition Services or to schedule an outpatient nutrition appointment or telehealth visit, please call 202-476-2327.
If your child is an existing patient, you can contact the clinic directly or schedule appointments online through the patient portal for select divisions.
View our outpatient nutrition appointments guide.
Clinical Nutrition Services Team