Neurofibromatosis Institute Prescription Refill Request
We are unable to refill medications if the patient has not had an office visit within the past six months. Please call 888-884-BEAR (2327) to schedule an appointment.
If the patient has had an office visit within the past six months, please call 202-476-5181 for a refill.
Tips for Requesting a Refill by Phone
Please call for refills before 3 p.m. Monday to Friday and allow 5-7 business days before you need your prescription refill to allow sufficient time to handle your request. We do not guarantee same-day response on prescription refills.
- Pharmacy Requests: Please contact your pharmacy and instruct them to fax a refill request to 202-476-4304 directly. They will have all of the information needed to properly refill your prescription. This is the most efficient way for you to obtain your medication refill. Please note that due to the high volume of requests, we do not call pharmacies to fill prescriptions.
- Controlled Substances: Please call 202-476-5181. Because of federal and state laws, stimulant medications require a written prescription and must be mailed to you directly or picked up at our office. Federal and state laws also prohibit dispensing more than 30* days supply of stimulant medication. For this reason we are only able to write for 30 days’ worth of medication, unless you are filling the prescription through a mail order pharmacy in association with your insurance company.*
When leaving a message, please speak slowly and include all of the following information. Incomplete messages will delay the processing of your request.
- Your name, relationship to the patient and the best phone number to reach you
- Your child’s name and birthday. Please spell both first and last names.
- The name of your physician
- The name of the medication
- The size and/or strength of the medication. (If your child is taking a long-acting formulation, it is very important to specify that it is. For example: Adderall XR, Focalin XR, or Ritalin LA)
- The directions for taking the medication
- Your complete mailing address if you would like us to mail your prescription
*Please consider using a mail order pharmacy program if your insurance company has one. Typically, these programs allow you to receive a 90-day supply of medication. Some mail order pharmacies will fill a 90-day supply even if your prescription is for a controlled substance. Getting your child’s medication in this way will save you time and may save you money.
Make sure your child gets appointments when needed. Your child needs to be seen every two to six months for appropriate monitoring while receiving medication. Because we are booked in advance, please call 202-476-3611 well in advance to make sure you get an appointment. We will not refill prescriptions if your child has not returned for follow up as instructed by your physician.