COVID-19 Update:Learn where you can get your child vaccinated, as well as other important facts about COVID-19.
Comprehensive Hemostasis and Thrombosis Program
Experts in Care
Each year, we treat more than 240 children and teens with bleeding and platelet disorders and more than 200 patients with clotting disorders. Learn more about our experienced Hemostasis and Thrombosis team.
Children’s National has one of the largest hemostasis and thrombosis programs in the country. Caring for hundreds of children every year and using advanced treatments, such as minimally invasive clot busting technology, we offer a level of expertise that few centers in the area can match.
The Comprehensive Hemostasis and Thrombosis Program at Children's National: Why Choose Us?
Whether your child is at risk for clots that block blood flow to vital organs (thrombosis) or his or her blood has trouble clotting (hemophilia), we offer expert care.
Highlights of our program include:
- Nationally renowned experts: Children’s National is home to renowned hematologists who have dedicated their practice to caring for pediatric blood disorders.
- Recognition: As the only designated pediatric comprehensive Hemophilia Treatment Center (HTC) in Washington, D.C., we coordinate care and services to meet your child’s every need.
- Seamless care: Working side-by-side with experts across Children’s National Hospital, we keep all patients safe from life-threatening blood clots. These efforts are especially important in children undergoing cardiac surgery and dialysis for advanced kidney disease.
- Research: Experts at Children’s National lead groundbreaking research to improve thrombosis and hemophilia care. Learn more about research and clinical trials.
- Dedicated support: Whether we see your child in clinic or at the hospital, our team of advanced practice nurses is a resource to you and your family. From lab testing to medication refills or simply answering your questions, we stand ready to help your child get the best possible care.
Treatment of Thrombosis and Bleeding Disorders at Children's National
Part of what makes Children’s National special is our team approach. We meet regularly to discuss each patient’s care. We also discuss each patient seen in our outpatient clinic immediately after his or her appointment. Having multiple touch points ensures your child’s treatment is informed by our team’s collective expertise.
Your child’s treatment may include:
- Anti-coagulation (clotting) medications: Using special medications, we protect your child against clots that can block blood flow to vital organs. Through research and clinical trials, your child has access to novel therapies that are not yet widely available.
- Blood clot prevention (prophylaxis): We take extra steps to prevent blood clots during your child’s hospital stay. With the help of our electronic health record, our hematologists receive real time notification of any child with a clotting risk. This helps us evaluate and treat him or her earlier than ever before.
- Blood clot monitoring: We are one of few children’s hospitals offering round-the-clock blood clot monitoring. We offer tests that are not widely available, such as anti-thrombin activity tests to show levels of blood clotting proteins in the blood.
- Minimally invasive blood clot removal (thrombolysis): Using advanced technology and tools we insert through a tiny incision in your child’s groin, we rapidly break up and remove dangerous blood clots. Learn more about interventional radiology.
- Blood transfusions: A blood transfusion gives your child a fresh supply of blood from a healthy donor. With an on-site blood donor center, your child has immediate access to the blood products that meet his or her unique needs.
For more information or to make an appointment, call us at 202-476-7060.
Hemostasis and Thrombosis Program Team