COVID-19 Update:Learn more about how we are protecting our patients, families and staff, as well as other important facts about COVID-19.
Advanced Practice Graduate Nursing Clinical Rotation Students
The Advanced Practice Provider (APP) Department welcomes your interest in the Advanced Practice Graduate Student Nursing Clinical rotation.
In our continuing effort to streamline the NP student process, we have adopted myClinicalExchange (MCE) as our web based automated tool to operate, administer and manage our Graduate Nursing Student Clinical Placement Program.
All clinical rotation requests must be completed through MCE.
COVID-19 Vaccination and Declination
To protect our employees, patients and families, all Children’s National Hospital team members are required to be “up to date” on their COVID vaccination (including any booster dose(s) and annual vaccine doses, when eligible for such doses, as set forth by the CDC) or complete the declination process.
Graduate Nursing Clinical Students
Graduate nursing clinical students (MSN, DNP leadership, quality, research, etc.) must register with the Nursing Education and Professional Development Department (NEPD). Please visit our nursing schools placement request page for more information or email Nursing Director Simmy King, D.N.P., M.S., M.B.A., R.N.-B.C., N.E.-B.C.
Physician Assistant Students
Prospective physician assistant student requests are made through the Office of Medical Education. Please email Susannah Jenkins for additional information.
Anesthesiologist Assistant Students
Prospective anesthesiologist assistant student requests are made through myClinicalExchange. Please select Anesthesiologist Assistant when requesting a program. Please email anesthesiologist assistant students for additional information.
The request deadline dates for the foreseeable future are:
- June 1 – Fall
- October 1 – Winter/Spring
- March 1 – Summer
Children’s National Hospital is a highly sought-after clinical site for graduate nursing student rotations. Clinical placement is competitive and not guaranteed with submission of an application. Graduate nursing student clinical rotation site opportunities and availability will vary per semester.
View our clinical rotation list. (PDF)
With consideration for your personal schedule and personal goals, please submit a separate MCE request for areas of interest. Please also rank your top 5 experiences in order of preference in the My Clinical Exchange application survey. These preferences are not guaranteed, but are taken into consideration. We recommend that placement options be discussed with clinical faculty prior to submission to ensure the placement request meets clinical course requirements.
Advanced practice graduate nursing clinical rotation students may send all graduate nursing student clinical related information and questions via email.
- ASPEN University
- Auburn (primary care - adult)
- Baylor College of Medicine
- Baylor University School Nursing
- Bowie State (undergrad)
- Bradley University
- Capella University
- Catholic University of America
- Chamberlain University Washington Hospital Center
- College of Southern Maryland
- Coppin State University
- Creighton University - School of Nursing
- Drexel University College of Nursing and Health Professions
- Duke University
- Duquesne (DNP - non-clinical)
- Eastern Kentucky (FNP)
- Emory University
- George Mason University
- George Washington University
- Georgetown University
- Georgetown University Hospital
- Grand Canyon University (FNP)
- Howard University
- Indiana State University School of Nursing
- James Madison University
- Kaiser Permanente Capitol Hill Medical Center
- Marymount University
- Montgomery College
- Morgan State
- National Institutes of Health Northeastern University
- Northeastern University
- Northern Virginia Community College
- Notre Dame of Maryland University
- Ohio State University
- Old Dominion School of Nursing
- Olivet Nazarene University
- Penn State University
- Purdue University
- Rush University College of Nursing
- Sacred Heart University
- School of Nursing Medstar
- Shenandoah University
- Simmons University - Nursing School
- South University
- Southern New Hampshire University
- Spring Arbor University - School of Nursing and Health Sciences
- Stevenson University
- The Board of Trustees of the University of Alabama for University of Alabama at Birmingham
- The John Hopkins University School of Nursing
- Towson State University
- University of Alabama Health Services
- University of Connecticut
- University of Delaware - School of Nursing
- University of Maryland - School of Nursing
- University of Massachusetts Amherst - School of Nursing
- University of Massachusetts Boston
- University of Memphis
- University of Michigan
- University of Nebraska Medical Center College of Nursing
- University of South Alabama
- University of the District of Columbia
- University of Virginia
- Walden University - School of Nursing
- Washington Adventist University
- West Virginia University - School of Nursing
- Directions to the hospital
- Hospital floor map plans
- My Bear Guide app (available for Android and Apple phones)
- Parking: There is no on-site parking for students. Shuttle service (PDF) is available from the Columbia Heights Metro Station, Brookland Metro Station and Union Station. There is very limited on-street parking on Michigan Avenue between North Capital Street and the Shrine, but this is not guaranteed. Street parking at meters is strongly discouraged.
Visit our webpage frequently for updates on advanced practice graduate nursing clinical placements.
Department of Advanced Practice Providers
Children's National Hospital
111 Michigan Avenue NW
Washington, DC 20010
Sarah Birch, DNP, APRN, CPNP-PC
Director, Advanced Practice Providers
Lisa Ring, DNP, CPNP, AC-PC
Advanced Practice Provider Education Lead
Please contact us with questions via email. For affiliate agreements/contracts with Children's National for Advanced Practice Graduate Nursing Clinical Rotation Students, please email us.
For undergraduate and graduate non-clinical rotation agreements, please contact Professional Development Specialist Katherine DuBois, MSN, RN, NPD-BD, HEC-C.