The Bear Institute for Health Innovation
An IT Hub at the Heart of Children’s National Hospital
Committed to improving care, the Bear Institute is a first-of-its kind pediatric health information technology (IT) institute with a vision for a future where children grow to their highest levels of health and potential. The Bear Institute formed in September 2013 as a strategic and transformational partnership between Children’s National and Cerner Corporation.
The Bear Institute is located on the second floor of the main hospital, and is responsible for providing a solid foundation for technical infrastructure. The institute’s cross-disciplinary team of developers, architects, researchers and clinicians assume operational and administrative responsibilities for Children’s IT services, including implementations, system management and clinical adoption. The Bear Institute team also builds innovative technologies that improve patient outcomes.
The Bear Institute has rolled out dozens of cutting-edge solutions to some 3,000 caregivers across our health system. The team has worked to:
- Create efficiency, new workflows and time-saving tools.
- Develop new, marketable innovations by standardizing the care process, increasing end-user adoption and improving safety.
- Enhance the patient experience with the roll-out of outpatient scheduling tools and an online patient portal.
- Enhance the provider and caregiver experience with care coordination, improved response times and patient education.
- Improve the health of Children’s family of employees with an online wellness program.
- Strengthen overall financials with more accurate billing and a $1,000,000 reduction in annual IT costs.
Leading the Industry
In September 2015, the Bear Institute’s efforts earned the CHIME-AHA Transformational Leadership Award from the American Hospital Association. The award recognizes the team’s work in developing and deploying transformational IT, as well as the strong partnership between the technology group and executive leadership.
In April 2016, the Bear Institute was recognized when Cerner won the Children’s Innovation Award at the annual Children’s Ball.
Big Ambitions for Big Data
In its formative years, the Bear Institute focused on digitizing the organization and making essential health data accessible to our team. As we look to the future, the technologists’ task will shift to fully leveraging all that data in groundbreaking ways.