COVID-19 Update:Learn more about how we are protecting our patients, families and staff, as well as other important facts about COVID-19.
Parent Navigator Program
We understand that families who have children with chronic medical conditions and special healthcare needs require extra support. At Children’s National, our Parent Navigator Program helps to reduce family stress by:
- Connecting parents or caregivers to resources
- Assisting with navigating care
- Finding educational tools for parents and children
- Providing emotional support so that managing a child’s healthcare journey is a little easier
The navigators also bring a unique perspective and understanding to a child’s healthcare team since they too are parents of children with disabilities.
What Parent Navigators Do
Our Parent Navigator Program informs, educates, supports and empowers families to be strong partners with providers in advocating for their child’s medical, educational and social well-being. Parent Navigators provide guidance and support to families about how to access services, work with providers and manage the various aspects of caregiving for children with disabilities.
Families of children with special healthcare needs are eligible for the Parent Navigator Program if they see a pediatrician in a Children’s Primary Care location, or are followed by the Complex Care Program at Children’s National.
Additionally, families are eligible if a child’s condition requires any of the following:
- Frequent doctor visits
- Home nursing care
- Multiple hospital stays
- Several specialty doctors
- Specialized education (IEP, IFSP)
- Therapy services (physical therapy, occupational therapy, speech therapy)
- Use of equipment such as a wheelchair, ventilator, feeding tube or any type of computer-aided technology
Upcoming Parent Navigator Program Events
Title: Celebrating Hispanic Heritage Month: Immigrant Families Accessing Healthcare Services
When: Wednesday, Oct. 5, Noon - 1:15 p.m.
- Madison Glennie, Esq., Equal Justice Works Fellow, Sponsored by A PIPER LLP (US) and Verizon Foundation, DC Volunteer Lawyers Project
- Celia E. Rivas, L.L.M., Immigration Services Coordinator, Catholic Charities
- Melissa Herrera, Immigrant health Coordinator, Family Services, Children's National
- Special Performance by La Gloria de la Danza
The Parent Navigator Program helps families de-stress by connecting them to resources such as:
- Assistive technologies
- Legal advice
- Sibling activities
- Support groups
- Therapy programs
Our Parent Navigator Program helps families navigate their child’s care. These services include:
- Appointment assistance
- Care notebooks
- Coordinating multiple specialists
The Parent Navigator Program provides parents and caregivers with the educational tools they need, including:
- Community workshops
- Education advocacy
- Educational information
- Insurance issues
- Navigating Children’s National
- Parent/doctor communication
Our Parent Navigator Program offers emotional support for parents so that managing their child’s healthcare journey may be a little easier. These services include:
- Doctor visit companionship
- Linking fathers to support groups
- Sharing stories
- Support during hospitalizations
For more information or questions about eligibility, contact us at 202-476-2900 or email us.