First Aid for Poisonings in a Child
In some cases, accidental poisoning of a child can be treated at home. You will need to follow the directions of a poison control center or your child's healthcare provider. In other cases, a child will need emergency medical care.
If you find your child with an open or empty container of a toxic substance, your child may have been poisoned. Stay calm and act quickly:
- Get the poison away from the child.
- If the substance is still in the child's mouth, make him or her spit it out or remove it with your fingers. Keep this along with any other evidence of what the child has swallowed.
- Don't make the child vomit.
- Don't follow instructions on packaging about poisoning. These are often outdated. Instead, call your child's healthcare provider or poison control center right away for instructions.
Call Poison Control at 800-222-1222, your child's healthcare provider, or go to the closest emergency room if your child has any of these symptoms:
- Sore throat
- Trouble breathing
- Drowsiness, irritability or jumpiness
- Nausea, vomiting or stomach pain without fever
- Lip or mouth burns or blisters
- Unusual drooling
- Strange odors on your child's breath
- Unusual stains on your child's clothing
Take or send the poison container with your child. This is to let the healthcare provider know what your child swallowed. Both the poison control center and your child's healthcare provider will need this information:
- Your name and phone number
- Your child's name, age and weight
- Any health conditions your child has
- Any medicines your child is taking
- The name of the substance your child swallowed. Read it from the container and spell it out.
- The time your child swallowed the poison (or when you found your child), and the amount you think was swallowed
- Any symptoms your child is having
- If the substance was a prescription medicine, give all the information on the label, including the name of the medicine:
- If the name of the medicine is not on the label, give the name and phone number of the pharmacy, and the date of the prescription.
- What the pill looked like (if you can tell) and if it had any printed numbers or letters on it.
- If your child swallowed another substance, such as a part of a plant, describe it as much as you can to help identify it.
If your child spills a chemical on his or her body, remove any contaminated clothes. Rinse the skin well with lukewarm — not hot — water. If the area shows signs of being burned or irritated, continue rinsing for at least 15 minutes, no matter how much your child may protest. Then call the poison control center for more instructions. Do not put ointments, butter or grease on the area.
Flush your child's eye by holding the eyelid open and pouring a small, steady stream of lukewarm — not hot — water into the inner corner near the nose. Let the water run across the eye to the outside corner to flush the area well. You may need help from another adult to hold your child while you rinse the eye. Or wrap your child tightly in a towel and hold your child under one arm. Continue flushing the eye for 15 minutes, and call the poison center for more instructions. Do not use an eyecup, eye drops or ointment unless the poison center tells you to do so.
In the home, poisonous fumes or gases can be breathed in from sources such as:
- A car running in a closed garage
- Leaky gas vents
- Wood, coal or kerosene stoves that are not working as they should
- Mixing bleach and ammonia together, which makes chloramine gas
- Strong fumes from other cleaners and solvents
If your child breathes in fumes or gases, get him or her into fresh air right away. If your child is breathing without problem, call the poison control center for more instructions.
Call 911 or your local emergency service if your child has any of the below:
- Loss of consciousness
- Trouble breathing
If your child has stopped breathing, start CPR. Do not stop until your child breathes on his or her own or someone else can take over. If you can, have someone call 911 right away. If you are alone, do CPR for two minutes and then call 911.
Share your birthday with a child. Celebrate your life, and give a chance to someone who desperately wants to have as many as you.
Make it happen