COVID-19 Update:Learn where you can get your child vaccinated, as well as other important facts about COVID-19.
Children’s National Medical Center Names New Board Members
January 18, 2012
For Immediate Release
Washington, DC — Children’s National Medical Center has announced several new officers and members of its governing boards. Children’s National includes several corporate entities, each with its own board.
“We appreciate the insights and energy all our board members offer Children’s National,” said Kurt D. Newman, MD, President and CEO of Children’s National. “All of us are re-imagining how we care for kids through creative connections and big, out-of-the-box thinking. We’re energized about many innovative initiatives, and pleased that our new and returning board members will be part of what promises to be a fascinating chapter here at Children’s National.”
New members of the Children’s National boards and those with new roles, began their service with the new year, 2012. They include:
Children’s National Medical Center Board
- Fred T. Goldberg, Jr., is a partner in the Washington, DC, office of Skadden, Arps, Slate, Meagher & Flom. He will continue as a member of the Children’s Research Institute Board.
- Evan Jones is the founder of jVen Capital and was formerly Chairman & CEO of the Digene Corporation. He is returning to the Children’s National Medical Center Board and will continue as a member of the Children’s Research Institute Board.
- Carolyn A. Thornell, Executive Director Emeritus of The Kingsbury Center, Inc., is joining the Children’s National Medical Center Board ex officio as Chairman of the Board of Children’s Hospital of which she has been a member since 2005.
- Michael J. Williams, President & CEO of Fannie Mae and a long-time supporter of Children’s National, is joining the Children’s National Medical Center Board as an at-large member.
Children's Hospital Board
- Deidre W. Adkins is a registered nurse and the parent of a Children’s National patient. She served for several years on the Children’s Hospital Professional & Consumer Affairs Committee.
- Shonay Barnett-Jones is a financial services professional and the parent of a Children’s National patient. She served for several years on the Children’s Hospital Professional & Consumer Affairs Committee.
- David A. Whiston, DDS, an oral and maxillofacial surgeon, has been a member of the Joint Commission Resources, Inc., board; Chair and President of the American Dental Association; and President of the Northern Virginia Dental Society.
Children’s Hospital Foundation Board
- Allan J. Berman is joining the CHF Board after concluding eight years of service on the Children’s Hospital Board and five years on the Children’s National Medical Center Board. He also chaired the Children’s National Medical Center Finance & Investment Committee for four years, and served on several other board committees.
- Cidalia Luis-Akbar is President of the M. Luis Construction Company, one of the top women- and Hispanic-owned companies in Maryland. She has been a member of the Child Health Center Board and the Hospital-Based Specialties Campaign Leadership Council at Children’s National and, with her sister, Natalia Luis-Monteiro, has led several fund raising events for Children’s National.
- Natalia Luis-Monteiro is Vice President of the M. Luis Construction Company based in Baltimore and Clinton, MD. With her sister, Cidalia Luis-Akbar, she has led fund raising events for Children’s National.
- Cindy Jones and her husband, Evan, have been long-time volunteer leaders at Children’s National. Cindy has hosted, chaired, and co-chaired several fund raising events, and, with her husband, personally made a philanthropic gift to establish The Evan and Cindy Jones Professorship in Pediatric Clinical Pharmacology.
- Walter Lukens is the founder of The Lukens Company marketing firm and several other businesses. He has been a board member and supporter of several community organizations.
- Sara Machir previously served on the Children’s National Medical Center Board and the Children’s Hospital Board, which she chaired for four years. She is Vice President for Communications & Investor Relations with Star Scientific.
- Blair Raber is the founder of the Celiac Disease Program at Children’s National and serves on its advisory board. She also is involved with the “Bite Back at Celiac” event.
Children’s Research Institute (CRI) Board
- Ada Sue Hinshaw, PhD, RN, FAAN, is Dean and Professor at the Uniformed Services University of Health Sciences Graduate School of Nursing.
- Alan Leshner, PhD, is returning to the CRI Board on which he served previously 2003-2010. He is Chief Executive Officer of the American Association for the Advancement of Science (AAAS) and Executive Publisher of Science Magazine.
- David Schlitz is a partner with Baker Botts law firm, with expertise in Licensing and Intellectual Property.
Safe Kids Worldwide Board
- Kate Smith Carr became President and CEO of Safe Kids Worldwide in October 2011. She served previously in leadership positions for several not-for-profit organizations, including Malaria No More (Managing Director & Chief Development Officer), Accelerate Brain Cancer Cure (President & CEO), and the Elizabeth Glazer Pediatric AIDS Foundation (President & CEO).
Children’s National Health Network and Children’s Pediatricians & Associates Board
- Denice Cora-Bramble, MD, MBA, FAAP, is Senior Vice President, The Diana L. and Stephen A. Goldberg Center for Community Pediatric Health. She recently assumed the additional role of Acting Executive Vice President, Ambulatory Services, with responsibility for coordinating Children’s National’s primary care services, including CNHN (network of community-based primary care pediatricians and Children’s National specialists) and CP&A (Children’s National’s affiliated primary care practices.
Children’s School Services Board
- Wendy Goldberg is a long-time supporter of and volunteer at Children’s National. She will continue as a member of the Children’s Hospital Foundation and Children’s National Advocacy & Public Policy, Inc. Boards of Directors.
Contact: Paula Darte: 202-476-4500
For the Media
Find a Provider
Media Email Sign Up
Want the latest Children's National news and stories as they happen? Sign up to get our News & Events releases by email.