How to Apply
PLEASE NOTE: Due to the COVID-19 pandemic our field program is suspended for the 2021-2022 academic year. We are not currently accepting applications, interviewing or placing MSW interns.
Our MSW field placement program is available for 2nd Year and Advanced Standing MSW students only. Field placements are for the traditional academic calendar only. We do not provide field placement for inpatient psychiatry or other related behavioral / mental health settings. We do not provide undergraduate internships. We average around five field placements each academic year and we accept students from several area universities.
Additional application information includes the following:
- This is a very fast paced and demanding environment, where both independence and team collaboration are essential skills. We are interested in students who can demonstrate initiative and a strong commitment to social work values and ethics, who have excelled in their academic fields, and who have excellent writing skills. If this sounds like you, then we encourage you to apply.
- A clear concise resume and volunteer/work experience are very important in helping intern candidates stand out from others.
- Placement options are for 2nd year MSW students and Advanced Standing students only. We do not have placements for undergraduate or 1st year MSW students.
- Placements are only offered for the traditional academic year. We do not provide field placements for students needing a night and/or a weekend schedule. We do not provide field placements for students needing summer or extended year placements.
- The social work placement process is very competitive. Not all applicants who apply will be offered an interview opportunity.
- We interview more students than we accept for field placement. Having an interview does not guarantee that you will secure a field placement.
- There is no wait list.
Please contact your field office directly for an application. Students are encouraged to submit an application with an accompanying resume/CV to: [email protected].
We will not be accepting applications after the deadline.
For more information, please contact:
Aimee Phipps, LICSW
MSW Field Internship Coordinator and Supervisor
Department of Family Services
Children's National Hospital
111 Michigan Ave NW
Washington, DC 20010