Perinatal Brain Injury Program
The Perinatal Brain Injury Program at Children’s National Health System was created to provide comprehensive evaluation and care of infants with suspected neurological injury or deficits.
Perinatal brain injury is the result of an insult to the vulnerable, developing fetal brain. Although perinatal brain injury is more common in premature infants, it can affect babies of all gestational ages. Perinatal brain injury may lead to long-term neurodevelopmental challenges, including cognitive, neurologic, motor and sensory impairments.
Choosing Children’s National for Perinatal Brain Injury Care
Our program is focused on minimizing your child's complications related to perinatal brain injury through early recognition and treatment. The close follow-up by our dedicated specialists helps to guide treatment as your child’s needs advance. Your child will benefit from close observation and monitoring of developmental progress with specific interventions offered as needed.
Treatment Options for Perinatal Brain Injury
Our team offers many treatment options for your child with perinatal brain injury, which include:
- Wide range of outpatient services. We offer your child therapeutic rehabilitation including physical, occupational and speech therapy services.
- Tone management. We offer various medications, therapy and bracing routines to help reduce muscle tightness and improve range of motion.
- Home exercise plan. Our therapists instruct you on how to engage your child in therapeutic activities at home.
- Seizure management. Our neurologists are specialists in neonatal neurology and neonatal neurocritical care, and are part of the team responsible for the award-winning neonatal ICU at Children's National.
- Routine surveillance. Our team regularly evaluates your child for changes in medical status or function warranting further imaging or intervention.
For scheduling information for our Perinatal Brain Injury Program, please contact the main hospital at 202-476-3094 or the Pediatric Specialists of Virginia at 703-876-2788.
Perinatal Brain Injury Program Team
Director, Neonatal Neurology and Neonatal Neurocritical Care Program
Neonatal and Fetal Neurologist
Director of Education and Fellowship Pediatric Rehabilitation Specialist
Advanced Practice Registered Nurse