COVID-19 Update:Learn where you can get your child vaccinated, as well as other important facts about COVID-19.
Making an Appointment: Information for Parents and Physicians
Schedule an appointment
Online Appointment Scheduling Available for Existing Patients
If your child is an existing patient, you can schedule their appointments online through the MyChildrensNational patient portal. Learn more information about the patient portal and how to sign up.
Our medical geneticists and genetic counselors are available to see patients (children and adults) for outpatient visits in four locations, five days a week. If you are a parent, patient or health care provider and would like to request a genetics evaluation, please call 202-545-2500. We are available to see patients in the following locations*:
*Metabolic patients should only be seen for appointments at the Rare Disease Institute at the Research & Innovation Campus due to the need of dietitians and lab services at this location. Please check with your provider or genetic counselor regarding this information.
If you are requesting an appointment, please email us. Please state the reason for your request and a summary of you/your child’s medical issues. Our team will review your request and determine the most appropriate provider for your visit as well as our next available date and time.
Your visit may include:
- Review of medical and family history
- Physical exam
- Recommendation for genetic testing and possible diagnoses
- Referral to other specialists
- Photos of your child
Members of the genetics team who may work with you may include:
- Physician or nurse practitioner
- Genetic counselor
- Medical/genetic counseling students, residents, fellows or other trainees
Things to know before your visit:
- If you/your child had genetic testing at another institution, please provide us with these results before your visit at the Rare Disease Institute. You may email us or fax reports to 202-545-2543 with attention to the name of the physician who will be seeing you/your child.
- If you/your child has had prior evaluations at other specialists (outside of Children's National) that you feel are relevant to you/your child’s genetics work-up, please send us these records prior to the visit. Email the records to email@example.com or fax reports to 202-545-2543 with attention to the name of the physician who will be seeing you/your child.
- We will be gathering extensive information about you/your child’s health and the health of your family. Please be prepared to answer these questions and notify us ahead of time of any concerns or questions you have about sharing this sensitive information.