Am I Eligible to Donate Blood?
In order to donate blood you must meet these preliminary requirements:
- Healthy and feeling well
- Able to consume a full meal
- Weigh more than 110 lbs
If you are unsure about eligibility, please read further eligibility criteria or call the Blood Donor Center at 202-476-5437.
Possibly Ineligible (feel free to call the Blood Donor Center for more information)
- If you had shots or vaccinations in the past 8 weeks.
- If you had major illness in the past 6 months.
- If you traveled outside the U.S. or Canada in the past 3 years.
- If you have been on an antibiotic or medication for an infection, dental work, cold or illness in the last 3 days.
- If you have snorted cocaine, smoked synthetic marijuana or had a tattoo or ear/body piercing in the last 12 months.
- If you lived in the United Kingdom from 1980-1996 for a total time of 3 months or more.
- If you lived in Europe from 1980-present for a total time of 5 years or more.
- If you have used illegal drugs with a needle.
- If you have ever tested positive for HIV/AIDS. See important notice from the FDA.
If you are eligible, schedule an appointment to donate blood today.