General and Thoracic Surgery
Learn what to expect, and what to prepare for, when your child is scheduled for surgery at Children's.
When your child needs surgery, you need a healthcare facility dedicated to children, with experienced pediatric surgeons, advanced minimally invasive techniques, and a child-friendly atmosphere. At Children’s National Health System, our pediatric surgeons deliver excellent care with a compassionate touch. In addition, we are leaders in innovative and minimally invasive techniques to minimize pain and recovery time for children.
Pediatric Surgery at Children’s National: Why Choose Us
The Children’s National surgical team performs more pediatric surgeries than any other hospital in the Washington, DC, area. This high volume translates to a superior level of expertise for our team. We provide the full range of surgical procedures, from routine hernia operations to complex tumor removals.
Features of our general and thoracic surgery program include:
- Pediatric specialists. We are the only hospital in the region dedicated exclusively to children. Each of our pediatric surgeons is board-certified in general surgery and in pediatric surgery. We also are the only hospital to guarantee 24/7 access to a fellowship-trained pediatric anesthesiologist who will manage your child’s anesthesia and pain management needs.
- Commitment to minimally invasive procedures. We strive to use the least invasive approach possible for your child. We perform advanced minimally invasive procedures for children of all ages, including newborns. Learn more about minimally invasive surgery and neonatal laparoscopic surgery.
- Advanced techniques. We use the most sophisticated surgical technology available. For example, Augmented Reality Surgery combines laparoscopy (a minimally invasive approach) with ultrasound. Fusing the images together, we can see the organs in real-time, including structures and abnormalities below the surface. This leads to a more effective, precise surgery for your child.
- Personalized care plan. Each child is different and requires a treatment plan tailored to his or her needs. Before the procedure, we will discuss with you in detail about what to expect during the operation and what the recovery period will be like for your child.
- Collaborative care. We work closely with the anesthesiologist and the physicians in our intensive care units (ICU), including the Cardiac Intensive Care Unit and the Neonatal Intensive Care Unit. We ensure that your child is receiving the most comprehensive care possible.
- Dedication to research. We are actively involved in pediatric surgery research. Our team investigates the latest devices and techniques for pediatric surgery that will create a more effective, less invasive surgical experience. Learn more about the Sheikh Zayed Institute for Pediatric Surgical Innovation at Children’s National Health System.
Surgery for Children at Children’s National: Procedures We Perform
Our pediatric surgical specialists perform general surgical procedures for the full spectrum of childhood illnesses and injuries. We collaborate closely with physicians and surgeons in other departments. Procedures we perform include:
- Minimally invasive procedures
- Esophageal surgery
- Neonatal laparoscopic surgery
- Chest wall defects surgery
- Thoracoscopic surgery
- Surgical endoscopy
Patients who had surgery for gastrointestinal conditions receive ongoing medical management through our Bowel Management Program. In the program, physicians and nurse practitioners help children with care throughout their life to maintain healthy bowel function.
Surgery for Children: Family Resources
Our goal is to maximize the quality of our patients’ lives and ease the stress on families. Children’s National provides many family-centered services because we understand that when a child is ill, it affects the entire family.
Learn more about:
General and Thoracic Surgery Team
In This Section:
We provide a healthcare experience designed with kids in mind, and delivers confidence and assurance when parents need it most.
We see children from around the Washington, DC, area, nation, and world who need the specialized expertise and child-focused care we offer.
Pediatric specialists work closely to ensure an integrated approach to caring for each child and family.
We offer resources for families to help answer questions and ease their experience.
We value the network of referring physicians and staff and offers resources for medical education and referring patients.
We provide suggested treatments to complement top-notch medical education and experience.