Our research done on
Congenital Zika viral infection linked to significant fetal brain abnormalities, despite ‘normal’ ultrasounds.
Our Zika Program
Sometimes babies show signs of potential health risks even before they’re born. At Children’s National, the Fetal Medicine Institute provides the diagnosis, treatment, and support you and your baby need. Through research, expertise, coordinated and advanced care, personalized treatment plans, and more, the Fetal Medicine Institute is dedicated to helping your baby get the best possible start in life.
The Fetal Medicine Institute at Children’s National: Why Choose Us?
At the Fetal Medicine Institute, we diagnose and treat unborn babies who show signs of potential health risks, including abnormal fetal development. Our team – which includes top physicians in every specialty – can diagnose your baby and provide consultation with subspecialists all in the same day. That way, we can create a treatment plan that’s just right for you and your baby.
Highlights of the Fetal Medicine Institute include:
- Innovative care for your unborn baby: Our groundbreaking research allows us to diagnose fetal conditions earlier. This helps your family get answers to important questions and start planning for your baby’s future needs.
- Expertise: Adre Du Plessis, MBChB, an international expert in normal and abnormal development of the fetal brain, leads our team of 50 experts in more than 19 pediatric subspecialties. We offer a level of experience few centers can match.
- Fully coordinated care: Because all of our specialists are here in one location, we can arrange for you to meet with any specialists that you need in a single visit.
- Personalized treatment plans: We provide you with a roadmap of detailed information, including multiple treatment options, to meet your baby’s needs. Learn more about prenatal diagnosis and care.
- Advanced neonatal care: From life-saving heart surgery to specialized critical care programs, we deliver advanced care starting the moment your baby is born. Learn more about neonatal care.
- Pioneering research: Along with providing the most advanced care to patients today, our expert team is involved in innovative research to help advance the field of fetal medicine and treatment for the future. Learn more about our Developing Brain Research Laboratory.
Our experts also work closely with you and your obstetrician or maternal-fetal medicine specialist to help you understand your baby’s condition. This helps make sure your baby has a seamless transition from the womb to receiving the best care after birth.
For more information or to make an appointment, call us at 202-476-7409 or meet the team.