Pediatric critical care neurology, also called neurocritical care, focuses on protecting and treating the brains of critically ill and injured children.
At Children’s National Health System, we provide advanced and compassionate neurocritical care to children from newborns to young adults. Our program has expertise in treating acute brain injury with comprehensive care, from the Emergency Department to the Neurocritical Care Unit (also known as the Neuro ICU), through rehabilitation and beyond.
Why Choose Us
Children’s National is one of only a handful of centers in the nation to offer pediatric neurocritical care, and we’re the only such program in the Washington, DC, area.
Features of the Critical Care Neurology program at Children’s National include:
- Responsive, continuous care. Our Neurocritical Care Unit has advanced technology and monitoring capabilities that allow us to accurately diagnose and assess your child’s condition at every stage of his or her stay with us. At Children’s National, the clinicians also are the readers of the EEG (electroencephalogram). This results in real time recognition of abnormalities and changes in care.
- Family resources and support. We understand that being in an intensive care situation is an emotional and scary time, both for the patient and the whole family. We offer support services for families to help you cope with social, educational and emotional difficulties.
- Dedicated follow-up clinics. Children’s National offers a follow-up program to provide comprehensive care even after your child has left the ICU. Our outpatient programs include Rehabilitation Medicine, Stroke Clinic, and Cardiac Neurodevelopmental Outcome Program, among others.
- Finding better treatments through research. Our team is leading research studies and collaborating with other centers to advance the field of and provide your child with the best pediatric neurocritical care available. We are passionate about finding better treatments for children with neurologic disorders.
At Children’s National, pediatric neurocritical care is provided in our Neurocritical Care Unit, the Cardiac Intensive Care Unit (Cardiac ICU), and the Pediatric Intensive Care Unit (PICU).
We also offer a dedicated Neonatal Neurocritical Care Program through our nationally top-ranked Neonatal Intensive Care Unit (NICU).
Conditions We Treat
Neurologic conditions we care for include:
- Recovery from neurosurgery
- Arterial ischemic stroke
- Intracranial hemorrhage, including arteriovenous malformation (AVM)
- Cerebral sinovenous thrombosis (CSVT)
- Encephalitis/meningitis [link to https://childrensnational.org/choose-childrens/conditions-and-treatments/infectious-diseases/meningitis]
- Status epilepticus, including febrile infection-related epilepsy syndrome (FIRES)
- Traumatic brain injury (TBI)
- Anoxic brain injury
- Spinal cord injury
- Neuromuscular emergencies, including infantile botulism and Guillain-Barre syndrome (GBS)
- Neurological complications of critical illness
Highly Specialized Care Team
Neurocritical care requires the expertise of many highly specialized pediatric professionals working together to provide comprehensive and individualized care for your child. Our team at Children’s National includes:
For more information, call us at 202-476-2120.
Critical Care Neurology Team