Blood Disorders (Hematology)
Expert Teams for Every Case
We have pulled together teams of specialists with expertise in treating specific blood disorders, such as sickle cell disease, so that you can feel comforted that you’re receiving the best care. Learn more about our sickle cell program team.
Meet the team
Children’s National offers the largest, most comprehensive blood disorders (hematology) team in the Washington, DC area. We are home to some of the world’s leading hematology experts, which helps us deliver advanced care for rare conditions, such as histiocyte disorders.
Hematology at Children's National: Why Choose Us?
Children have complex blood clotting systems that change as they grow. At Children’s National, our understanding of pediatric blood disorders and the many ways in which they affect your child’s well-being helps us deliver the best care.
Highlights of our program include:
- Comprehensive care: If your child has sickle cell disease, we coordinate and deliver specialized care to meet all of his or her health needs. This may include anything from specialized pain management to dental care. Learn more about our Sickle Cell Disease Program.
- Safety: We protect children from life-threatening blood clots during their hospital stay, regardless of whether they have a blood disorder diagnosis. Learn more about our Comprehensive Hemophilia and Thrombosis Center.
- Innovative treatments: As one of few programs in North America caring for rare histiocyte disorders, Children’s National offers access to treatments that are not widely available. Learn more about our Histiocyte Disorders Program.
- Expertise: From dedicated advanced practice nurses to pediatric immunology experts, we offer a depth of expertise in all aspects of pediatric blood disorder care. Meet the team.
- Seamless care: We work with experts across Children’s National Health System to deliver seamless care for complex conditions. Partnering with physicians from our Pediatric Gynecology Program, we offer one of few dedicated clinics for teen girls with heavy menstrual bleeding (menorrhagia).
With outpatient care locations throughout the Washington, DC metropolitan area, we make it easy for your child to get the care he or she needs. In fact, our Montgomery County Outpatient Center receives more than 1,700 visits a year.
For more information or to make an appointment, call us at 202-476-7060, or meet the team.
Blood Disorders (Hematology) Team
In This Section:
Children’s National sees children from around the Washington, DC, metropolitan region, nation, and world who need the kind of specialized expertise and child-focused care we offer.
We take a team approach to care, where all specialties and departments are totally integrated to offer the best care for each patient and family. Our team collaborates with specialists in other departments to offer the best care possible.
At Children’s National, we believe that comprehensive care for children also includes support for their families. We do everything possible to take care of your family’s emotional, spiritual, and logistical needs.
We value the network of referring physicians and staff and offers resources for medical education and referring patients.