COVID-19 Update:Learn more about how we are protecting our patients, families and staff, as well as other important facts about COVID-19.
Strengthening Cross-Sector Collaborations with Schools
Achieving Better Collaboration (ABC) For Children: Five Part Webinar Series
Take a look at our five part webinar series on keeping kids healthy through their attendance and how health care organizations are impacting communities through coordinated care, technology, mental health and job opportunities.
The CHAI school health team led by Community Affairs envisions Children’s National Hospital to be a school-friendly health care system that is designed to help all children reach optimal health and achieve their full academic potential. Education is a critical social determinant of health for children and impacts long-term health and economic outcomes.
We support student and school wellness through coordination and partnerships between the health and education sectors. Coordination and partnerships are at the system or organizational level between the hospital, local school districts and relevant groups that support schools (government, community-based organizations and advocacy organizations).
- Communication: We strive for communication and data-sharing between schools and the health system in order to improve individual and population health in schools.
- Coordination: We align our school-based work with community needs and educational system goals in order to improve population health in schools through policy, advocacy and evidence-based frameworks.
- Education: We educate our health care system on academic issues and we educate the school system on child health issues.
- Data-Driven: We use program evaluation and community-wide data to guide all aspects of our work and to identify gaps and needs.
- Conduct school health policy and program research.
- Convene and facilitate dialogue between the health and education sectors to strengthen partnerships and identify meaningful policy and system change opportunities. For example, in 2018 we hosted a School Health Symposium that convened more than 160 health and education partners focused on improving outcomes for children. Read the report.
- Provide/facilitate multidisciplinary education to providers, trainees and school staff and students on critical education and health issues.
- Document and share Children's National stories of success and impact.
- Create opportunities for staff to engage with schools and school-aged children through community benefit activities.
View the 2022 report (PDF)
School Health Programs and Initiatives
Children's National leads a number of programs that range from clinical care to educational interventions. To learn about current school health programs, download our brochure (PDF). View more info: Our 2017 report (PDF), our 2019 report (PDF) or our infographic (PDF).
Developing School-Friendly Health System Principles
Children’s National is leading an initiative to develop school-friendly health system (SFHS) principles to help hospitals and health systems deliver better care and patient experience that enhance children’s prospects for improved health and academic success.
COVID-19 and Education Resources
Now that children are back in school they may be dealing with pandemic-induced anxiety or school-related anxiety. Check out our COVID-19 learning and school resources.
Learning and School Resources
Ensure your child's academic success by learning about homework, routines and when to ask for help. Get advice on school related issues