Coronavirus Update:What patients and families need to know
LGBTQ+ Care and Support
At Children’s National Hospital, we support our LGBTQ+ (lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and questioning/queer) patients through a variety of programs and services:
- The Youth Pride Clinic provides comprehensive primary, specialty and mental health care to youth and young adults between the ages of 12 to 21. We also provide high-quality health and wellness care in a safe and affirming environment for transgender and gender-nonconforming youth.
- The Gender Development Program is our multidisciplinary program for transgender and gender-diverse youth and their families. psychiatry, psychology, speech therapy, endocrinology and gynecology collaborate to help parents and gender-diverse youth navigate gender development through personalized assessments and care.
- Children and teens who have gender dysphoria and autism spectrum characteristics (or related conditions) have access to our Gender and Autism Program.
- Our Burgess Clinic was established in 1989 to provide support and meet the unique medical needs of adolescents infected with or affected by HIV/AIDS.
If you are unsure of what services you need to seek for your child, contact our patient navigator at 202-476-5744.
Children's National research initiatives focus on topics including differences of sexual development and diverse populations. Learn about our ongoing efforts:
Read more on Rise and Shine
How to Support Your LGBTQ+ Child
When your child decides to "come out," which is the process where an individual shares his/her identity as a LGBTQ+ person, realize it is an act of courage and trust. Read more about how you can support your LGBTQ+ child on Rise and Shine, our health and wellness site for kids. Unsure of what services you need to seek? Contact our patient navigator at 202-476-5744.
Career Opportunities at Children's National
Children's National is a supportive employer of LGBTQ+ people, and is committed to promoting openness and equality in the workplace. Our team continues to promote diversity in recruitment and advancement through multiple efforts including:
- Developing community partnerships with organizations such as the D.C. Career Academy Network to increase our connection to diverse candidates
- Charging search firms with shared responsibility to source and attract diverse candidates
- Communicating and raising awareness of pathways for advancement at Children’s National
- Creating a coaching and training program for diverse junior leaders, with executive mentorship
If you are interested in joining the Children's National team, please view our current job listings.