COVID-19 Update:Learn more about how we are protecting our patients, families and staff, as well as other important facts about COVID-19.
LGBTQ+ Care and Support
At Children’s National Hospital, we support our LGBTQ+ (lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and questioning/queer) patients through a variety of programs and services:
- The Youth Pride Clinic provides comprehensive primary, specialty and mental health care to youth and young adults between the ages of 12 to 21. We also provide high-quality health and wellness care in a safe and affirming environment for transgender and gender-nonconforming youth.
- The Gender Development Program is our multidisciplinary program for transgender and gender-diverse youth and their families. Psychiatry, psychology, speech therapy, endocrinology and gynecology collaborate to help parents and gender-diverse youth navigate gender development through personalized assessments and care.
- Children and teens who have gender dysphoria and autism spectrum characteristics (or related conditions) have access to our Gender and Autism Program.
- Our Burgess Clinic was established in 1989 to provide support and meet the unique medical needs of adolescents infected with or affected by HIV/AIDS.
If you are unsure of what services you need to seek for your child, contact our patient navigator at 202-476-5744.
Children's National research initiatives focus on topics including differences of sexual development and diverse populations. Learn about our ongoing efforts:
Children's National is a supportive employer of LGBTQ+ people, and is committed to promoting openness and equality in the workplace. Our team continues to promote diversity in recruitment and advancement through multiple efforts including:
- Developing community partnerships with organizations such as the D.C. Career Academy Network to increase our connection to diverse candidates
- Charging search firms with shared responsibility to source and attract diverse candidates
- Communicating and raising awareness of pathways for advancement at Children’s National
- Creating a coaching and training program for diverse junior leaders, with executive mentorship
If you are interested in joining the Children's National team, please view our current job listings.
Read more on Rise and Shine
How to Support Your LGBTQ+ Child
When your child decides to "come out," which is the process where an individual shares his/her identity as a LGBTQ+ person, realize it is an act of courage and trust. Read more about how you can support your LGBTQ+ child on Rise and Shine, our health and wellness site for kids. Unsure of what services you need to seek? Contact our patient navigator at 202-476-5744.
Read our news release
Children's National Earns a Perfect Score in the Healthcare Equality Index (HEI)
The Human Rights Campaign Foundation’s HEI evaluates health care facilities on policies dedicated to the equitable treatment and inclusion of LGBTQ+ patients, visitors and employees. Learn about our employee George Francois who worked to garner this achievement.