Coronavirus Update:What patients and families need to know
Testing for Coronavirus (COVID-19)
How to Prepare Your Child for the COVID-19 Test
Here are some things you can do to prepare your child for a COVID-19 test, in order to help ease their fear and anxiety.
If your child is feeling well and only needs a COVID-19 test, we recommend checking with your pediatrician and, if they are conducting testing, visiting their office.
Regional Testing Locations
Alternatively, there are several sites for children in the region that also offer to test:
Children’s National COVID-19 Testing
If you choose to visit our Emergency Room for a COVID-19 test, your child will be seen for an emergency care visit. He or she will have an exam with one of our providers before being tested for COVID-19, and your insurance will be billed for an emergency room visit. Out of pocket costs will vary based on your individual insurance.
We test patients up to the age of 21.
Patients do not need a referral to receive a test in our ED.
No. Your child does not need to have symptoms to visit our ED and get tested.
Yes. Visit MyChildrensNationalPortal to login or find more information.
How to Register for MyChildrensNationalPortal
If the patient is under 13:
If the patient is 13-17:
To protect patient privacy, call 866-355-0385 and select Option 1 to request an invitation be sent to your private email.
You can also contact the department your child was seen in and request a portal invite.
If the patient is 18 and over:
- You will need the patient's medical record number (MRN) to create an account.
- You can get the patient's MRN in any of the following ways:
- The patient's MRN can be found on: discharge documents, clinic notes, the patient's hospital bracelet or a billing statement.
- Call 866-355-0385 and select Option 1.
- Call Medical Records at 202-476-5267 and select Option 7.
- An invitation to the portal can be sent directly to the patient. Fill out the requested information here: (English | Spanish). Once your information is verified, you will receive an email invitation to the portal. Please allow three business days for your request to be completed.
- To protect patient privacy, call 866-355-0385 and select Option 1 to request an invitation be sent to your private email.
You will get your child's results within 48 hours.