Coronavirus Update:What patients and families need to know
Rapid Testing for Coronavirus
How to Prepare Your Child for the COVID-19 Test
Here are some things you can do to prepare your child for a COVID-19 test, in order to help ease their fear and anxiety.
The Children’s National Hospital Emergency Department (ED) offers rapid coronavirus (COVID-19) testing 24 hours a day, seven days a week. We recommend your child is tested by your pediatrician, if they are conducting tests. However, if you choose to come to our ED, no referral is needed.
When you visit our ED for a COVID-19 test, your child will be seen for an emergency care visit. He or she will have an exam with one of our pediatric emergency medicine providers before being tested for COVID-19, and your insurance will be billed for an emergency room visit. Out of pocket costs will vary based on your individual insurance.
We test patients up to the age of 21.
Patients do not need a referral to receive a test in our ED.
No. Your child does not need to have symptoms to visit our ED and get tested.
Yes. Visit MyChildrensNationalPortal to login or find more information.
How to Register for MyChildrensNationalPortal
If the patient is under 13:
- Fill out the requested information here. Once your information is verified, you will receive an email invitation to the portal.or
- To protect patient privacy, call 866-355-0385 and select Option 1 to request an invitation be sent to your private email.
If the patient is over 13:
- Self-enroll here
- You will need the patient's medical record number (MRN) to create an account
- You can get the patient's MRN any of the following ways:
- The patient's MRN can be found on: discharge documents, clinic notes, the patient's hospital bracelet or a billing statement
- Call Patient Portal Support at 866-355-0385 and select Option 1
- Call Medical Records at 202-476-5267 and select Option 7
You will get your child's results within 48 hours.
Benefits of Children’s National COVID-19 Testing
As pediatric emergency specialists, we are trained to do COVID-19 testing on children and we have supports available in Child Life Services to help ease your child's anxiety. If your child is age 2 and under, we have specially designed swabs that are smaller and more comfortable for our younger patients. After your child receives testing, their results will be available in 48 hours. You will have the option to schedule a follow-up telehealth visit if needed.
Learn more about how Children’s National is taking all precautions to protect our patients during this pandemic.
Locations for Rapid Testing
Children's National Emergency Department (Open 24 hours a day, seven days a week)
111 Michigan Avenue, NW
Washington, DC 20010
Children’s National Emergency Department at United Medical Center (Open 24 hours a day, seven days a week)
1310 Southern Avenue, SE
Washington, DC 20032
Doctors Community Hospital Emergency Department (Hours: 1-11 p.m. daily)
8118 Good Luck Road
Lanham, MD 20706
Regional Testing Locations
There are several alternative sites for children in the region that also offer testing:
Learn what to do if your child has tested positive for COVID-19.