What patients and families need to know
Women Infants and Children (WIC)
Women Infants and Children (WIC) is a supplemental food program that promotes good health for low-to-moderate-income mothers, infants and children. WIC food is high in nutrients such as protein, calcium, iron and vitamins A and C. WIC's mission is to safeguard the health of eligible applicants to the program by providing:
- Breastfeeding support and education
- Supplemental nutritious foods (cereal, milk, cheese, eggs, juice, beans, peanut butter and infant formula) at no cost
- Nutrition education and counseling at WIC clinics
- A means of saving money that can be used to purchase fresh fruits, vegetables, meats, baby foods and other foods that WIC does not provide
- Screening referrals to other health, welfare and social services
- Vouchers to buy WIC-approved fruits and vegetables from authorized Farmers' Markets
Who may enroll in the WIC Program?
- Pregnant women
- Breastfeeding women (up to infant's first birthday)
- Non-breastfeeding postpartum women (after pregnancy ends or up to six months after the birth of an infant)
- Infants and children up to 5 years old who live in D.C., have a medical and/or nutritional risk or meet our liberal income guidelines
To be eligible for the WIC Program, you must meet all categorical, residential, income and medical/nutrition eligibility requirements. You may contact your local Children's National WIC Clinic to schedule an appointment to determine if WIC is a good fit for your needs.
For more information on WIC, check out the USDA web site.
Where do I apply for WIC?
111 Michigan Ave NW
Mon, Tues, Thurs, Fri: 8 a.m. - 4 p.m.
Wed: 8 a.m. - 7 p.m.
1801 Mississippi Ave SE - West side
202-436-3062Friday: 8 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
First and second Thursdays of the month: 3-7 p.m.
First and second Saturdays of the month: 8 a.m. - 12 p.m.
2101 Martin Luther King Jr Avenue SE
Mon: 8 a.m. - 7 p.m.
Tues - Fri: 8 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
Marie Reed Elementary School
2201 18th St NW
Washington, DC 20009
Mon, Tue and Fri: 8 a.m.- 4:30 pm
Jaysari Janakiram, Director, CPHC Nutrition Services, 202-476-5527.
Make an Appointment
Children's National in Your Neighborhood
Did you know we have 4 locations in Northern Virginia?
Find a Children's Location Near You
Find a Provider
Our Parenting Site
Everything parents need to know about kids' health, straight from our experts. Go to Rise and Shine