Volunteers must be at least 15 years of age or older.
Thank you for your interest in the Dr. Bear’s Ambassador Program. This application is currently closed. Please check back next year for our next round of recruitment. Please note that the application will be open online for 14 days or until we receive 50 applications (whichever occurs first). Thank you!
Info Session & Interview/Training
Based on a review of all submitted applications, selected applicants will be asked to attend an in-person Info Session and Interview. During the 30-minute Info Session, we will go over the specifics of the Dr. Bear’s Ambassador program. Immediately following the Info Session, we will hold interviews for prospective volunteers.
Once the application process is complete, selected volunteers will be required to attend a three-hour training. This training will go into specifics about volunteer/patient/staff interactions, what to expect while volunteering, and hospital safety and security.
Dr. Bear’s Ambassadors are specially trained to provide world-class customer service to the patients, families and visitors at Children's National Hospital. Ambassadors are a group of enthusiastic, dedicated and team-oriented volunteers who are committed to providing a warm and welcoming environment to everyone who comes through the hospital doors. These volunteers help make the often anxiety-filled hospital experience a little easier for patients and their families.
Dr. Bear’s Ambassadors provide play activities to patients in the Emergency Department and other waiting areas, deliver flowers and gifts, greet families as they arrive at the hospital, assist with wayfinding, support caregivers’ non-medical needs in outpatient areas, inpatient units and the cafeteria, play our Children’s National mascot, Dr. Bear, and assist with administrative tasks in the Volunteer Services office and other departments.
Dr. Bear’s Ambassadors are asked to make at least a six-month, 50-hour commitment. Volunteers will be assigned to 2-hour shifts throughout the week and are required to volunteer on a weekly basis. Shifts during the week are available Monday - Friday between 9 a.m. and 7:30 p.m., and weekend shifts are available between 9 a.m. and 4 p.m.
- This position requires standing and/or sitting
- This position may include pushing an activity or book cart for at least one hour at at a time
- This position may include lifting donated items that may weigh at least 10 lbs. such as toys, stuffed animals, game and books as well as transporting items to various areas on carts
Reasonable accommodations will be considered for qualified applicants with disabilities.
Our Dr. Bear’s Ambassadors represent Children's National, and we hold high expectations for our volunteers to ensure that our patients and families have the best hospital experience possible. As an Ambassador, you will be expected to:
- Comply with all medical and background check requirements
- Attend all required orientations, trainings, hospital tours and shadowing sessions
- Learn and exercise hospital safety and behavior conduct guidelines
- Protect patient identity and privacy
- Dress appropriately and according to hospital guidelines
- Provide age-appropriate toys to patients and siblings
- Be a source of information about the hospital for patients and their families
- Be a source of fun and comfort for patients and their families
Please note that this program does not provide the opportunity to shadow physicians, nurses or other health care providers.
This program takes place at the Main Hospital on Michigan Avenue NW in Washington, D.C.