COVID-19 Update:Learn more about how we are protecting our patients, families and staff, as well as other important facts about COVID-19.
Children’s National is committed to facilitating the communication between our providers and our deaf or hard of hearing and Limited English Proficiency (LEP) patients. Qualified interpreters are available for patients and families at no cost seven days a week, 24 hours a day, including on-site Spanish interpreters in the Emergency Department. Interpreter services are provided for as long as necessary. Having a trained medical interpreter ensures that the communication between patients, families and our hospital staff is complete and accurate.
Interpretation Resources Provided to Patients and Families
- Face-to-face sign language interpretation with professional medical interpreters
- Face-to-face foreign language interpretation with professional medical interpreters
- Video remote interpretation services available for spoken languages and sign language
- Dual handset phones are available throughout the institution for over the phone interpretation
If you are making an appointment at Children’s and you will need an interpreter, we will be happy to assist you.
Contact Language Services
To contact Children’s National*:
- You can contact our hospital operator at 202-476-5000
- Please mention to the operator that you need an interpreter and for what language
To make an appointment*:
- Dial 1-888-884-BEAR (2327)
- Please mention to the operator and/or scheduler that you will need an interpreter the day of your visit
If your child is staying in the hospital (inpatient) or visiting the Emergency Department:
- Please let your nurse or a member of the medical team know that you will need an interpreter and they will help you gain access to these services
*For deaf and hard of hearing families, we recommend using the 711 National Telecommunications Relay Service prior to contacting our Access Center or operators.