Volunteers must be ages 15 to 18 and returning to high school.
Thank you for your interest in the Summer High School Volunteer Program. This application is currently closed. Please check back next year for our next round of recruitment. Please note that the application will be open online for 14 days or until we reach capacity (whichever occurs first). Thank you!
Info Session & Interview/Training
Based on a review of all submitted applications, selected applicants will be asked to attend an in-person Info Session and Interview. During the 30-minute Info Session, we will go over the specifics of the Summer High School Volunteer Program. Immediately following the Info Session, we will hold interviews for prospective volunteers.
Once the application process is complete, selected volunteers will be required to attend a five-hour training. This training will go into specifics about volunteer/patient/staff interactions, what to expect while volunteering, and hospital safety and security.
The Summer High School Program is a fantastic experience for Washington, D.C., area high school students who are looking to help out in a hospital setting.
Summer Volunteers help out throughout the hospital. They are specially trained to provide world-class customer service to the patients, families and visitors at Children’s National. This is a group of enthusiastic, dedicated and team-oriented volunteers who are committed to providing a warm and welcoming environment to everyone who comes through the hospital doors. These volunteers help make the often anxiety-filled hospital experience a little easier for patients and their families.
Summer High School Volunteers provide play activities to patients in waiting areas, assist at the Welcome Desks, sort and process donations, help people find their way around the hospital and assist with administrative tasks in the Volunteer Services office and other departments.
The Summer High School Program is an 8-week program, with a minimum commitment of 75 hours. Volunteers work three to five times during the week, Monday through Friday, from 10 a.m. and 3 p.m.
- This position requires standing and/or sitting
- This position may include pushing an activity or book cart for at least one hour at at a time
- This position may include lifting donated items that may weigh at least 10 lbs. such as toys, stuffed animals, game and books as well as transporting items to various areas on carts
Reasonable accommodations will be considered for qualified applicants with disabilities.
Our High School Volunteers represent Children’s National, and we hold high expectations for our volunteers to ensure that our patients and families have the best hospital experience possible. As a High School Volunteer, you will be expected to:
- Comply with all medical and background check requirements
- Attend all required orientations, trainings and hospital tours
- Learn and exercise hospital safety and behavior conduct guidelines
- Protect patient identity and privacy
- Dress appropriately and according to hospital guidelines
- Engage in age-appropriate play and interactions with patients
- Work with patients of all ages, backgrounds and developmental abilities
- Be a source of information about the hospital for patients and their families
- Be a source of fun and comfort for patients and their families
Please note that this program does not provide the opportunity to shadow physicians, nurses or other health care providers.
This program takes place exclusively at the Main Hospital on Michigan Avenue NW. We do not have opportunities for this program at any of our extended campus locations.