After receiving treatment at Children's National, your family will receive bills for both professional (physician) and hospital (laboratory, X-ray, medication, etc.) services. Insurance companies require that these services be billed on different forms.
Our computer systems currently keep these charges separated, and as a result you will receive two bills for each date of service. The physician bill/statement is purple (cumulative for all services) and the hospital bill is green or blue (separate account for each service). For more information, including advice on how to obtain a cost estimate for your child's care, please review our FAQs.
We provide several options for paying your bill, including:
Pay by Phone or Mail
- Pay your bill by phone: For this payment option, please speak with our customer service representatives Monday through Friday, 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. EST by calling 301-572-3542 or toll free 1-800-787-0021.
- Pay your bill by mail: Please use the address stated on the bill you receive in the mail and reference the account number or the guarantor number on your check or money order.
Our patient families can pay their hospital bill and physician bill online through a secure payment portal. Please note:
- You will need your child's account number and their name or guarantor name (if different than the patient's name) to pay your hospital bill or physician bill. This information can be found on the paper bill you receive in the mail.
- This is a one-time payment process.
- You will be taken to a secure website outside of ChildrensNational.org to pay your bill online.
- There is no fee for this service.
To use the online payment tool, click on the bill you would like to pay:
The blue or green statement (hospital bill) includes fees for room and board, use of equipment, nursing care, outpatient facility exam room and medications.
The purple statement (physician bill) includes fees for examinations, consultations and readings and interpretations of outpatient tests, such as laboratory, X-rays and CT scans.
You will receive a blue or green statement for each date of service – except if your child is having therapy services and is categorized as a “recurring patient.” In that case, you will have one account that spans an entire month. Because our computer systems track these charges separately, you may receive more than one bill for one hospital or clinic visit.
For example, you may receive a doctor’s bill after visiting the emergency room, and a bill from the radiologist who read your child’s X-ray and a bill from the hospital for related charges. We also bill a facility charge for outpatient hospital-based clinic visits. This is separate from the cost of the medical provider and includes the cost to run the facility such as supplies, equipment, exam rooms, educational resources, counseling and other staff. Charges are based on the type of visit and hospital resources it takes for your child’s care. The exact charge cannot be calculated until after the medical services have been provided and their visit is finished.
Medicaid covers the full outpatient facility charge, so you will not have a balance to pay for the charge. If you have Children’s National financial assistance, this program covers the charge based on a sliding scale up to 100 percent. If you have commercial insurance, the portion of what you will be responsible for depends upon your plan’s benefits and deductible amounts.
If you feel like a discrepancy has occurred on any of our bills, please contact Customer Service as soon as possible to prevent a delay in processing your claims. Our Customer Service Department is available Monday through Friday from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. EST at 301-572-3542, toll free at 800-787-0021 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.