The Children's National Difference
Our Care Philosophy
We focus on your child's emotional health as well as their physical health. We understand that children are not just miniature adults – their bodies and minds are in a constant state of growth and change.
At Children’s National, we’re more just than a hospital – we’re a community dedicated to helping children grow up stronger. When it comes to care, our doctors understand that children aren’t small adults; their bodies are constantly developing and growing. That’s why our entire care team is comprised of specialty-trained experts who know how to treat children’s unique needs.
We’re here to help you every step of the way, offering an internationally-recognized care team, groundbreaking research and innovation, a culture of quality and safety, and a care setting that puts your child and your family first.
Our Internationally-Recognized Care Team
Our pediatric specialists are among the best in the world and are uniquely positioned to care for the needs of your child:
- U.S. News & World Report consistently ranks Children’s National as one of the top children’s hospitals in the United States.
- We are one of very few hospitals in the country with dedicated programs for treating children with rare diseases and complex care needs.
- Our nurses continually earn the Magnet ® designation from the American Nurses Credentialing Center (ANCC), the highest level of recognition for nursing excellence that a health system can achieve.
- Our patients have access to more than 50 pediatric subspecialties, from fetal cardiology to neurosurgery to urology.
- We are one of few hospitals in the Washington, D.C., region classified as a Level 1 pediatric trauma center, which means that we have children's surgeons available at all times.
Discover more about our leaders in pediatric health.
Groundbreaking Research and Innovation
Children’s National is a premier medical destination because our doctors lead research that’s used to develop cutting-edge treatments for our patients. Right here at our state-of-the-art facilities, Children's Research Institute (CRI) transforms children’s health through advanced medical research in cancer and immunology, genetic medicine, neuroscience and translational science, with more than 700 clinical research protocols. At the Sheikh Zayed Institute for Pediatric Surgical Innovation, more than 500 researchers and scientists are pioneering ways to make surgery less invasive and pain free for children.
In addition to our transformative research teams, we are opening the Children's National Research & Innovation Campus in Washington, D.C. This one-of-a-kind pediatric research and innovation hub will feature a collaboration between Johnson & Johnson Innovation LLC and Children's: JLABS @ Washington, DC, which will be critical to accelerating the translation of potential breakthrough discoveries into new treatments and technologies.
Promoting a Culture of Safety
Our safety standards are incredibly important to us and are an integral part of our approach in providing pediatric care. All staff members at Children’s National – no matter their role – have been trained in our diligent safety standards.
At Children’s National, families are considered part of our care team, and act in partnership with doctors and nurses in key decisions regarding their child’s care plan. We also have support services available to meet the needs of your entire family. Dedicated social workers, child life specialists and chaplaincy services are available to help you navigate your child’s care, understand decisions that need to be made and provide support on your care journey.