Coronavirus Update:What patients and families need to know
Specialty Care Patient Portal Frequently Asked Questions
If you have a question about the MyChildrensNationalPortal that is not answered below, please contact the following:
- For health-related questions, please contact your care team directly.
- For all technical questions, support is available 24/7 at 1-877-621-8014.
How do I enroll in the portal?
If the patient is under 13:
- Fill out the requested information here: ( English | Spanish). Once your information is verified, you will receive an email invitation to the portal.or
- To protect patient privacy, call 866-355-0385 and select Option 1 to request an invitation be sent to your private email.
If the patient is over 13:
- Self-enroll here
- You will need the patient's medical record number (MRN) to create an account
- You can get the patient's MRN any of the following ways:
- The patient's MRN can be found on: discharge documents, clinic notes, the patient's hospital bracelet or a billing statement
- Call Patient Portal Support at 866-355-0385 and select Option 1
- Call Medical Records at 202-476-5267 and select Option 7
Is there any charge for using the portal?
No. The portal is a free service provided by Children's National to all our eligible patients.
How do I cancel my account?
If you decide that you no longer wish to have an active patient portal account, you would need to submit a cancel request through the portal. This information will be sent to our technical support team to deactivate the account.
Can my spouse and I share one account?
No. You each will need to submit an email address which will be associated with your specific security questions.
Can I access the portal on my phone or mobile device?
Yes. MyChildrensNationalPortal is available for both iOS and Android devices via a browser or mobile App. If the mobile device meets the requirements listed below, users can download Cerner’s HealtheLife app in order to access Children’s patient portal.
- For iOS users: The HealtheLife app for iOS is supported on any device using an iOS 8.2 or later operating system, such as Apple iPhone, Apple iPad, and Apple iPod Touch devices. The Apple Safari Web browser must be installed on the user's device, and the iOS HealtheLife app only supports United States English (en_us) at this time.
- For Android users: The HealtheLife app for Android is supported on any device using an Android 4.4 or later operating system (OS). The HealtheLife app for Android only supports United States English (en_us) at this time.
Patients will use their Cerner Health username and password to sign in to the HealtheLife app and access Children’s portal.
Do messages sent and received become part of my permanent medical record?
Yes. Any messages sent through secure messaging, along with responses to those messages, will become part of your child's permanent medical record.
What computer hardware/software do I need to use the portal?
The Patient Portal is web-based, so most up-to date versions of internet browsers such as Internet Explorer, Firefox, Google Chrome, or Safari will be compatible with the portal. Most mobile device operating systems, such as Windows and MAC OS, also are compatible.
Can I ask an emergency-related question via the patient portal?
The portal's two-way communication feature will allow you to electronically contact your child's healthcare provider about non-urgent issues. It is not to be used for emergency-related healthcare issues. Please contact your child's provider's office directly by phone with any questions you need answered within one business day or sooner, or dial 911 immediately if it's an emergency.
I now use the eClinicalWorks Portal. Why do I need the Cerner portal too?
The eClinicalWorks portal is used by our Children’s Health Centers for primary care patient care and appointment scheduling. The Cerner portal, MyChildrensNationalPortal, is used by Children’s specialty care clinics. The two systems are separate and correspond to different scheduling and messaging systems. Only primary care issues may be submitted through the eClinicalWorks portal, and only specialty care requests should be submitted through the Cerner Portal.
If you need further assistance or clarification, please call your child’s clinic directly.