COVID-19 Update:Learn more about how we are protecting our patients, families and staff, as well as other important facts about COVID-19.
At Children’s National, we understand how important breastfeeding is for families and we aim to provide mothers with the caring support, knowledge and encouragement they need. While at the hospital, families can ask their child’s nurse for a lactation consult or even call ahead with questions or concerns. As a health system, we also offer community lactation support services free of charge at our Health Center in Anacostia.
Learn more about our available lactation services:
At Children’s Health Center Anacostia, lactation support services are offered free of charge on a daily basis during regular business hours (Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.). These services include:
- A four-week prenatal breastfeeding education class that is offered on a rolling basis twice per month. This class is free and is facilitated by a lactation consultant or breastfeeding peer educator. Class topics include: Getting Started, Breastfeeding in the First Few Weeks, Keeping Things Going When Life Returns and Breastfeeding after Six Months.
- Community lactation support services for breastfeeding families in the entire Washington, D.C., metro area. Breastfeeding support supplies are also available.
- Mom's Got Milk Club meetings (families welcome!)
- Back-to-work breastfeeding consults to help breastfeeding mothers prepare to return to the workforce or school while meeting their breastfeeding goals.
About the Program
The East of the River Lactation Support Center is a collaborative program between Children's National, the Women Infants and Children (WIC) Program and the D.C. Breastfeeding Coalition. The program aims to help mothers in the Washington, D.C., metro area who choose to reach their breastfeeding goals through prenatal breastfeeding education and postpartum breastfeeding support.
For more information, contact us at 202-476-6941 or via email.
2101 Martin Luther King, Jr. Ave SE
Washington, D.C. 20020
At the main hospital, inpatient families may request lactation consults from Monday – Friday from 9 a.m. – 4 p.m. These services include:
- Support and education for breastfeeding mothers to help them reach their breastfeeding goals.
- Breastfeeding support for premature infants and babies with complex health problems.
- Working with families to prevent and manage breastfeeding challenges.
- Referrals on where to obtain breastfeeding supplies and equipment.
- Teaching mothers how to use breastfeeding equipment, including breast pumps.
- Assisting and preparing families for breastfeeding needs and/or challenges they may encounter once at home with their child.
At Children’s National, we want to help you meet your personal breastfeeding goals and for you to be able to successfully breastfeed your child. If you need guidance or encouragement, please ask your healthcare provider about scheduling a personal consultation. Families on our inpatient units may also directly contact Lactation Services at 202-476-7821 or Judy Campbell at email@example.com. For outpatient services, you can also email LactationSupport@childrensnational.org to schedule a personal consultation.
1801 Mississippi Ave SE, first floor
Washington, DC 20020
Watch the video
Breastfeeding After Birth
Sahira Long, M.D., F.A.A.P., medical director at Children's National Anacostia and lactation consultant discusses helpful information about breastfeeding.