COVID-19 Update:Learn more about how we are protecting our patients, families and staff, as well as other important facts about COVID-19.
Summer Volunteer Programs
While the majority of our volunteer opportunities require a one-year commitment, we also offer summer volunteer programs for individuals who want to participate in an intensive volunteer program. All summer volunteer opportunities take place at the main hospital on Michigan Avenue NW.
Summer High School Volunteers will be directly supervised by the Volunteer Services team. This volunteer program aims to provide high school students with the opportunity to donate their time and talents to Children’s National Hospital while they gain valuable educational and work experiences from hospital professionals.
Summer High School Volunteers must be 15 and older and a current high school student when applying.
The application for our 2022 Summer High School Volunteer program is now closed.
Thank you for your interest in the Summer Child Life Volunteer Program! This program is intended for individuals who are looking to pursue a career as a Certified Child Life Specialist. For more information on the career path of a Certified Child Life specialist please visit the ACLP webpage.
Summer Child Life Volunteers are directly supervised by the Child Life Services team and provide play and normalization opportunities/activities for hospitalized children and adolescents while gaining a glimpse into a career in pediatric healthcare. Summer Child Life Volunteers must be 18 and older and currently working toward a career as a Child Life Specialist.
The application for our 2022 Summer Child Life Volunteer program is now closed. If you are interested in learning more about Child Life and our other Training Programs, please visit our main Child Life Services webpage.
The applications for our 2022 Summer Volunteer programs are now closed. Please check back in early 2023 for information about our 2023 Summer programs. Thank you!
All incoming summer volunteers are required to complete:
- Online application
- Interview with a member of the Child Life & Integrative Care Services Team
- Online background check
- Medical clearance through Occupational Health (including COVID vaccination)
- Annual flu shot
- Online orientations and trainings
- Onsite training
Expectations and Commitment
Our volunteers represent Children's National Hospital, and we hold high expectations for our volunteers to ensure that our patients and families have the best hospital experience possible. As a summer volunteer, you will be expected to:
- Learn and exercise hospital safety and behavior conduct guidelines
- Protect patient identity and privacy
- Dress appropriately and according to hospital guidelines
- Engage in age-appropriate play and interactions with patients
- Work with patients of all ages, backgrounds and developmental abilities
- Be a source of information about the hospital for patients and their families
- Be a source of fun and comfort for patients and their families
Volunteers do not perform medical procedures of any kind or receive information regarding the medical diagnosis, treatment or prognosis of any patient.This program does not provide the opportunity to shadow physicians, nurses or other health care providers.
- This position requires standing and/or sitting.
- This position may include pushing an activity or book cart for at least one hour at a time.
- This position may include pushing a wheelchair with a patient that weighs up to 100 lbs.
- This position may include holding an infant/toddler for an extended period of time.
- This position may include lifting donated items that may weigh at least 10 lbs. such as toys, stuffed animals, games, and books, as well as transporting items to various areas on carts.
- Reasonable accommodations will be considered for qualified applicants with disabilities.