COVID-19 Update:Learn more about how we are protecting our patients, families and staff, as well as other important facts about COVID-19.
Children’s National Hospital Simulation Learning Center opened May 7, 2008. Over the past several years, our team has expanded in number of employees and our ability to support center-based and in situ (on unit, in clinic) simulation-based sessions. Our program is accredited by the Society for Simulation in Healthcare.
Simulation is used as a teaching methodology to:
- Facilitate a richer understanding of educational content
- Assess critical thinking and take risks without jeopardizing patient safety
- Allow learners to critically analyze their own actions (or failure to act), reflect on their own skill sets and clinical reasoning, and critique the clinical decisions of others
- Promote active learning
- Enhance learners’ critical thinking skills
The Simulation Program at Children’s National Hospital is a safe place for our staff and learners to perfect the care we deliver to children and their families. Through the use of simulation, the Simulation Program will teach the highest standards of patient safety, quality care and patient experience through interprofessional education and training. Collaboration and teamwork among stakeholders will provide the foundation for advances in the field of healthcare simulation through innovation and research.
The Simulation Program will lead interprofessional pediatric simulation through education, innovation and research by:
- Teaching the essential principles fundamental to interprofessional teamwork and communication
- Establishing local, regional and national partnerships as collaborators in our pursuit to become a nationally recognized leader of simulation
- Advancing simulation science by pursuing original and innovative research that can affect the way care is delivered to children everywhere
For a full listing of courses, further information or scheduling assistance, please email us.
- Simulation Program Manager, Heather Walsh, 202-476-4202
- Simulation Center, 202-476-5816