COVID-19 Update:Learn more about how we are protecting our patients, families and staff, as well as other important facts about COVID-19.
Education with the Global Health Initiative
Educating the Next Generation of Global Health Leaders
The Global Health Initiative offers several training opportunities for providers so they can help build capacity and better support the care of the children of the world.
Learn more about our advocacy efforts
The Global Health Initiative (GHI) at Children’s National Hospital aims to address the health needs of children and adolescents in our global community through high-quality collaborative research and mutual education for domestic and international providers.
Educational Opportunities at GHI
Introduction to Global Child Health Course
- This week-long course presented by GHI faculty and local global health experts covers topics ranging from management of dehydration to global health policy.
- It is held in March and October every year and is an open-access educational course – all are welcome to attend in person or via WebEx.
- Learn more about our next course on the GHI website.
Global Health Pathway for Pediatric Residents
- This program combines rigorous training in pediatric medicine with the advanced study of global health.
- Pediatric residents obtain skills required to improve the health and well-being of children living in low or middle-income countries of resource-limited settings.
- The program includes a collaborative curriculum of didactic teaching, experiential learning and faculty mentorship.
- Children's National GHI faculty create a supportive learning environment in which residents are engaged in discussing global health issues and principles through GHI-sponsored educational activities throughout the year and our biannual Introduction to Global Child Health Course.
- Through national and international partnerships, affiliations and collaboration, pediatric residents have the opportunity to gain essential field experience by participating in one-month international or immigrant health electives during their residency during their second and/or third year.
Global Health Fellowships
- Children’s National fellows interested in global health education and opportunities are encouraged to work with their program’s fellowship director to discuss the possibility of incorporating global health work into their individual curriculum. Learn more about Global Health fellowships here and at other hospitals.
Contact Our Team
The Global Health Initiative is located at Children’s National Hospital in Washington, D.C.
For information, and/or questions:
Children’s National Hospital
Global Health Initiative
c/o Rachel Sarnacki
111 Michigan Ave NW
Washington, DC 20010
For education specific questions, please contact:
Kathy Ferrer, M.D., AAHIVS
GHI Education Lead
Attending Physician, Pediatric Hospitalist Division and the HIV Prevention and Treatment Program within the Division of Infectious Diseases