COVID-19 Update:Learn more about how we are protecting our patients, families and staff, as well as other important facts about COVID-19.
Autism Behavioral Consult
View our visual supports and resources
Discover the Care Your Child Needs
Whether your child with communication, sensory or behavioral disabilities is coming for a procedure or just having a follow-up appointment, our team has resources for you to share with your child to prepare them for their care experience.
Visits to the hospital, doctor’s or dentist’s office can be challenging for children with communication, sensory and behavioral disabilities. The medical environment can be overstimulating with loud noises, large crowds, unfamiliar smells and long waiting times in small areas. Procedures and exams that require physical touch can also cause anxiety, fear, discomfort and frustration.
The staff at Children’s National Hospital is committed to ensuring that you and your child have a positive experience during your medical visits. We recognize that focusing on your child’s specific needs can make a real difference in safety and the overall experience. The Autism Behavioral Consult team provides medical staff and parents with tools to make procedures and treatments easier for your child.
Autism Behavioral Consult Services
Our goal is to help provide tailored and individualized care that supports your child’s needs in the medical setting. We:
- Have a developmental neuropsychologist who assists in preparation for medical care and medical procedures – both in the inpatient setting and outpatient clinic at the Sheikh Zayed campus.
- Make recommendations for communication, sensory and procedural accommodations in medical settings.
- Help parents prepare and plan for their child's medical visit.
- Create online resources and role kits for your child to practice with before he or she comes for a procedure.
- Incorporate aspects of your child’s Individualized Education Plan (IEP) and other school records to coordinate medical and educational needs and create a plan that supports participation in medical care.
To talk with someone about planning your child's medical visit, or to request visual supports, email Autism Behavioral Consult or call us at 202-476-2884.
Once you have contacted us, our program lead will reach out to you and ask you to complete a questionnaire and a release of medical information. These forms will help determine what resources you need.
Autism Behavioral Consult Team
Program Lead, Beyond the Spectrum