COVID-19 Update:Learn more about how we are protecting our patients, families and staff, as well as other important facts about COVID-19.
Our Mission Vision and Values
Committed to Children in Our Community and Around the World
We honor a mission that goes back more than a century, and embody a vision and core values that go forward just as far: to bring health and well-being to all children.
As the nation’s children’s hospital, the mission of Children’s National is to excel in Care, Advocacy, Research and Education. We accomplish this through:
- Providing a quality health care experience for our patients and families
- Improving health outcomes for children regionally, nationally and internationally
- Leading the creation of innovative solutions to pediatric health challenges
We also know that making diversity and inclusion a priority is critical to achieving our mission. Learn what makes us champions for children.
Children's National will lead the future of pediatric health through its clinical excellence, transformative research, innovation and service to the community.
By incorporating feedback from our families, we have developed our first child‐centered vision, which looks at the hospital experience through a child’s eyes:
- Healing a child’s body, mind and spirit takes more than medicine: It takes a team to fulfill a family’s dream
- My hospital is a bright and happy place that feels like home
- My providers, my family and I are a team, and everyone's job is important
- The way my hospital works is built around me
- My providers don't all look alike
- My hospital is my family's connection to everything I need for my health, whether they provide it or blaze trail it
Compassion: We serve all with warmth and kindness
- Care for ALL children, and respect and value ALL colleagues
- Honor the diversity of all patients, families, staff and the communities we serve
- Seek out diverse thoughts and perspectives
- Support and encourage those around us
Commitment: We lead with dedication and discovery
- Challenge ourselves, innovate, and push each other to always excel
- Demonstrate integrity and focus on what’s right, not just what is required
- Be a leader in education, learning and improvement
- Be honest and speak up when we see a problem
Connection: We team up for success
- Always put patients and families at the center of what we do
- Be present and focused in all our interactions
- Empower families and each other with the guidance to make decisions
- Reach out and create partnerships across teams