Coronavirus Update:What patients and families need to know
The Children's National Research Institute
Polymer-Blend Surgical Tissue Sealant
Researchers at Children's National Hospital and University of Maryland, College Park have developed a novel polymer-blend based sealant using electrospinning techniques that is easy to deposit, biocompatible with low-risk of inflammatory response and disease transmission.
The global wound closure market is expected to reach $14 billion by 2018. It is estimated that there are about 114 million surgical and procedure based wounds that occur globally every year. While there are many tissue sealants currently available in the market, they are not easy to fabricate, deposit on any biological surface, or have low risk on inflammatory response or disease transmission. Moreover, sealing methods that are customarily and extensively used (including sutures, wires, and staples) have several drawbacks such as the laborious or time-consuming nature of their creation or application, and their limited applicability in a surgical setting. The novel sealant described above is biocompatible, biodegradable, and can be modified to accommodate other compositions including biocompatible tissue adhesives, hemostats, scaffolding materials and therapeutic agents. The following are some of its advantages.
- Sealant easily created and deposited on biological surfaces as shown in mouse and pig studies.
- Adjustable sealant strength; adhesive strength of the polymer can be modulated by modifying the depositing techniques.
- Medications, therapeutics and other agents can be simultaneously administered along with the sealant.
- Cell seeding demonstrated in sealant to potentially accelerate wound closure and healing.
- Surgical Sealant and Wound Healing
Stage of Development
- Animal studies performed. Preclinical studies ongoing.
Intellectual Property Status
- Issued Patent 9,775,929, Solution blow spun polymer fibers, polymer blends therefor and methods and use thereof
This technology is available for exclusive or non-exclusive licensing.
Licensing/Business ContactSangeetha Raghavan
Senior Licensing Associate