Coronavirus Update:What patients and families need to know
FAQs About the Urology Fellowship
What is the expected salary?
The Urology Fellowship pay scale is based on ACGME compensation standards and varies by postgraduate year.
What are the benefits?
- Health, dental and vision
- Flexible spending accounts
- Life insurance
- Annual and sick leave
- Disability insurance
- Employee assistance program
- Backup child and elder care
A detailed summary of all benefits can be found in our benefits guide.
What is the call schedule for fellows?
During the week, the pediatric urology fellow will take secondary call by phone, providing back-up to the general urology resident on primary call. The fellow will also take primary call for one weekend a month. An attending pediatric urologist will always be on call and the pediatric urology fellow will have no completely independent patient care. However, the fellow will be granted graduated responsibility throughout the year, with the goal of producing a well-trained pediatric urologist.
Do I need to have a basic science background for the research year?
It is not expected that incoming fellows will have prior basic science research experience. Fellows will work closely with Drs. Hsieh and Casella, or other members of the research staff, to ensure that they are trained in basic lab skills and procedures.
Is the research year fully funded?
Funding for the ongoing projects is established and it is not required nor anticipated that fellows will apply for funding to support the efforts of their research.
Will I be considered junior faculty?
The fellow will always be under the direct supervision of an attending physician and will not be a billable provider.
Are there other locations where patients are seen besides the main hospital?
- Primary inpatient facility: Children’s National Hospital's Sheikh Zayed main campus
- Secondary inpatient facilities: Georgetown University Hospital and Inova Fairfax Hospital
- OR locations: Children’s National Hospital Sheikh Zayed main campus, Pediatric Specialists of Virginia (ASC), Inova Fairfax Hospital, Montgomery County Regional Outpatient Center
- Outpatient clinical locations: 9 locations in D.C., Northern VA and Southern MD, on a rotating basis.