Coronavirus Update:What patients and families need to know
Approximately 12 of the 36 months of training in the Pediatric Cardiology Fellowship Training Program are dedicated to research, mostly divided between the second and third years. Opportunities for clinical and basic science research are available with Children’s National faculty in Cardiology and other divisions as well as at the Children’s National Research Institute, including the Sheikh Zayed Institute for Pediatric Surgical Innovation, Washington Hospital Center, George Washington University, Georgetown University and the National Institutes of Health. In addition, fellows will have access to the new JLABS @ Washington, D.C., a 32,000-square foot facility to be located at the new Children’s National Research and Innovation Campus, opening in 2020. This one-of-a-kind research and innovation hub will drive discoveries that save and improve the lives of children. Fellows are provided support to prepare their research for presentation at national meetings and for publication in peer-reviewed journals.
In July 2010, Children’s National was awarded the prestigious Clinical and Translational Science Award (CTSA) grant from the National Center for Advancing Translational Sciences (NCATS) to establish the Clinical and Translational Science Institute at Children’s National (CTSI-CN). This is the first and to date only such funding awarded directly to a freestanding children's hospital and recognizes the outstanding strengths in clinical and translational research. Fellows benefit from statistical support for their projects through this grant. CTSI-CN is a partnership between Children’s National and George Washington University.
Our fellows have been very successful in their academic endeavors. They routinely publish manuscripts in peer-reviewed journals and present their work at national meetings, with 22 publications and eight presentations from the previous two graduating classes. Highlights of our fellows’ recent research are included in the Cardiology Fellowship Program Overview.
A list of Children's National Heart Institute publications is available here. Additionally, the work of our recent graduates is highlighted below.
Class of 2020 Publications
- Mandell JG, Christopher AB, Olivieri LJ, Loke YH. Diagnosis of a coronary sinus atrial septal defect by 4D flow MRI. Society of Cardiac Magnetic Resonance 2020.
- Romanowicz J, Leonetti C, Dhari Z, et al. Treatment With Tetrahydrobiopterin Improves White Matter Maturation in a Mouse Model for Prenatal Hypoxia in Congenital Heart Disease. J Am Heart Assoc. 2019.
- Romanowicz J, Cross R. Index of Suspicion: Supraventricular Tachycardia in a Full Term Neonate. Pediatrics in Review. 2020.
- Voleti S, Olivieri L, Hamann K, Gordish-Dressman H, Spurney C. Troponin I Levels Correlate with Cardiac MR LGE and Native T1 Values in Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy Cardiomyopathy and Identify Early Disease Progression. Pediatr Cardiol. 2020.
Class of 2019 Publications
- Kumthekar RN, Opfermann JD, Mass P, Clark BC, Moak JP, Sherwin ED, Whitman T, Marshall M, Berul CI. Percutaneous epicardial placement of a prototype miniature pacemaker under direct visualization: An infant porcine chronic survival study. Pacing Clin Electrophysiol. 2020 Jan; 43: 93-99.
- Clark BC, Kumthekar R, Mass P, Opfermann JD, Berul CI. Chronic performance of subxiphoid minimally invasive pericardial Model 20066 pacemaker lead insertion in an infant animal model. J Interv Card Electrophysiol. 2019; Oct 15.
- Kumthekar RN, Opfermann JD, Mass P, Moak JP, Sherwin ED, Whitman T, Marshall M, Berul CI. Minimally Invasive Percutaneous Epicardial Placement of a Prototype Miniature Pacemaker with Leadlet under Direct Visualization: A Feasibility Study in an Infant Porcine Model. Heart Rhythm Journal. 2019; Mar 1.
- Kumthekar R, Berul CI. Implantable Cardioverter Defibrillators and Biventricular Pacing in Pediatric Dilated Cardiomyopathy: Preventing Death and Delaying Heart Transplant. Progress in Pediatric Cardiology. 2018.
- Mokshagundam D. ed. Wernovsky, G. Myocarditis. In: Pediatric Cardiology. London, UK: Elsevier; 2019: 1173-1178.
- Zimmerman MS, Smith AGC, Sable CA, Echko MM, Wilner LB et al., Global, regional, and national burden of congenital heart disease, 1990-2017: a systematic analysis for the Global Burden of Disease Study 2017 Lancet Child Adolesc Health. 2020; 4: 185-200.
- Zimmerman M, Sable C. Congenital heart disease in low-and-middle-income countries: Focus on sub-Saharan Africa. Am J Med Genet C Semin Med Genet. 2020; 184: 36-46.
- Okello E, Murali M, Rwebembera J, Zimmerman MS, et al.Cross-sectional study of population-specific streptococcal antibody titres in Uganda. Arch Dis Child. 2020
Class of 2018 Publications
- Adams AD, Aggarwal N, Fries MH, Donofrio MT, Iqbal SN. Neonatal and maternal outcomes of pregnancies with a fetal diagnosis of congenital heart disease using a standardized delivery room management protocol. J Perinatol. 2020;40(2):316-323.
- Adams AD, Aggarwal N, Iqbal SN, et al. Umbilical Cord Blood Gas in Newborns with Prenatal Diagnosis of Congenital Heart Disease: Insight into In-Utero and Delivery Hemodynamics. Pediatr Cardiol. 2019;40(8):1575-1583.
- Shade JK, Cartoski MJ, Nikolov P, Prakosa A, Doshi A, Binka E, Olivieri L, Boyle PM, Spevak PJ, Trayanova NA. Ventricular arrhythmia risk prediction in repaired Tetralogy of Fallot using personalized computational cardiac models. Heart Rhythm. 2020 Mar;17(3):408-414.
- Trayanova NA, Doshi AN, Prakosa A. How personalized heart modeling can help treatment of lethal arrhythmias: A focus on ventricular tachycardia ablation strategies in post-infarction patients. Wiley Interdiscip Rev Syst Biol Med. 2020;12(3):e1477.
- Doshi AN, Clark BC, Berul CI. Ablation of a Unique Focal Ventricular Tachycardia in Repaired Truncus Arteriosus. JACC: Clinical Electrophysiology 2017; 3(8): 913-14.
- DeWyer A, Scheel A, Webel AR, Longenecker CT, Kamarembo J, Aliku T, Engel ME, Bowen AC, Bwanga F, Hovis I, Chang A, Sarnacki R, Sable C, Dale JB, Carapetis J, Rwebembera J, Okello E, Beaton A. Prevalence of group A β-hemolytic streptococcal throat carriage and prospective pilot surveillance of streptococcal sore throat in Ugandan school children. Int J Infect Dis. 2020 Apr; 93: 245-251.
- Chang AY, Scheel A, Dewyer A, Hovis IW, Sarnacki R, Aliku T, Okello E, Bwanga F, Sable C, Maurer TA, Beaton AZ. Prevalence, Clinical Features and Antibiotic Susceptibility of Group A Streptococcal Skin Infections in School Children in Urban Western and Northern Uganda. Pediatr Infect Dis J. 2019 Dec; 38(12): 1183-1188.
- Hovis IW, Namuyonga J, Kisitu GP, et al. Decreased Prevalence of Rheumatic Heart Disease Confirmed Among HIV-positive Youth. Pediatr Infect Dis J. 2019; 38(4): 406-409.
- Hovis IW, Schidlow DN, Moak JP. Complete congenital heart block: A case of multilevel block. Heart Rhythm Case Reports. 2017; 3 (6): 294-297.
- Jaimes R 3rd, McCullough D, Siegel B, et al. Lights, camera, path splitter: a new approach for truly simultaneous dual optical mapping of the heart with a single camera. BMC Biomed Eng. 2019;1:25
- Jaimes R 3rd, McCullough D, Siegel B, et al. Plasticizer Interaction With the Heart: Chemicals Used in Plastic Medical Devices Can Interfere With Cardiac Electrophysiology. Circ Arrhythm Electrophysiol. 2019;12(7):e007294.
- Siegel, B; Olivieri, L; Gordish-Dressman, H; Spurney, C. Myocardial Strain Using Cardiac MR Feature Tracking and Speckle Tracking Echocardiography in Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy Patients. Pediatric Cardiology. 2017.
- Siegel B, Spurney C. Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy Cardiomyopathy: Early Diagnosis and Treatment. Internal Medicine Review. 2017.
Class of 2017 Publications
- Hartz J, Li JS, Akintoye OO, Hornik CP. Clinicians' adherence to guidelines on evaluation of hypertension in children and adolescents. World Journal for Pediatric & Congenital Heart Surgery. 2016; 7 (4): 440-5.
- Hartz J, Yingling L, Powell-Wiley TM. Use of Mobile Health Technology in the Prevention and Management of Diabetes Mellitus. Curr Cardiol Rep. 2016;18(12):130.
- Ahuja C, Ayers C, Hartz J, Adu-Brimpong J, Thomas S, Mitchell V, Peters-Lawrence M, Sampson D, Brooks AT, Wallen G, Johnson A, Graham L, Graham A, Rivers J, Yingling L, Powell-Wiley TM. Examining relationships between perceptions and objective assessments of neighborhood environment and sedentary time: Data from the Washington, D.C. Cardiovascular Health and Needs Assessment. Prev Med Rep. 2017; 7:42-48.
- Koerdt S, Hartz J, Hollatz S, Frohwitter G, Kesting MR, Ewert P, Oberhoffer R, Deppe H. Dental prevention and disease awareness in children with congenital heart disease. Clin Oral Investig. 2017.
- Adu-Brimpong J, Coffey N, Ayers C, Berrigan D, Yingling LR, Thomas S, Mitchell V, Ahuja C, Rivers J,Hartz J, Powell-Wiley TM. Optimizing Scoring and Sampling Methods for Assessing Built NeighborhoodEnvironment Quality in Residential Areas. Int J Environ Res Public Health. 2017 ;14(3): e273.
- Hartz J, Clark BC, Ito S, Sherwin ED, Berul CI. Transvenous nonfluoroscopic pacemaker implantationduring pregnancy guided by 3-dimensional electroanatomic mapping. Heart Rhythm Case Rep. 2017;3(10):490-492.
- Hartz J, Yingling L, Ayers C, Adu-Brimpong J, Rivers J, Ahuja C, Powell-Wiley TM. Clustering of healthbehaviors and cardiorespiratory fitness among US adolescents. J Adolesc Health. 2018.
- Clauss S, Hartz J. Treatment strategies for hypercholesterolemia. Curr Pediatr Rev. 2018.
- Penk JS, Loke YH, Waloff KR, Frank LH, Stockwell DC, Spaeder MC, Berger JT. Unplanned admissions toa pediatric cardiac critical care unit: a review of 2 years' experience. Pediatric critical care Medicine.2015; 16 (2): 155-60.
- Olivieri LJ, Krieger A, Loke YH, Nath DS, Kim PC, Sable CA. Three-dimensional printing of intracardiacdefects from three-dimensional echocardiographic images: feasibility and relative accuracy. J Am SocEchocardiogr. 2015; 28:392-7.
- Loke T, Krieger A, Sable C, Olivieri L. Novel uses for three-dimensional printing in congenital heartdisease. Current Pediatrics Reports. 2016; Online: 1-7.
- Siallagan D, Loke YH, Olivieri L, Opfermann J, Ong CS, de Zélicourt D, Petrou A, Daners MS, KurtcuogluV, Meboldt M, Nelson K, Vricella L, Johnson J, Hibino N, Krieger A. Virtual surgical planning, flowsimulation, and 3-dimensional electrospinning of patient-specific grafts to optimize Fontanhemodynamics. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. 2017.
- Ong CS, Loke YH, Opfermann J, Olivieri L, Vricella L, Krieger A, Hibino N. Virtual Surgery for ConduitReconstruction of the Right Ventricular Outflow Tract. World J Pediatr Congenit Heart Surg. 2017;8:391-393.
- Olivieri LJ, Krieger A, Loke YH, Nath DS, Kim PC, Sable CA. Three-dimensional printing of intracardiac defects from three-dimensional echocardiographic images: feasibility and relative accuracy. Journal of the American Society of Echocardiography. 2015; 28 (4): 392-7.
- Talemal L, Donofrio MT. Hemodynamic consequences of a restrictive ductus arteriosus and foramenovale in fetal transposition of the great arteries. J Neonatal Perinatal Med. 2016 Sep 16; 9: 317-20.
- Gaur L, Talemal L, Bulas D, Donofrio MT. Utility of fetal magnetic resonance imaging in assessing thefetus with cardiac malposition. Prenat Diagn. 2016 Aug; 36: 752-9.
- Talemal L, Olivieri L, Krishnan A. Ductal constriction during dexamethasone treatment in an anti-SSAantibody-exposed fetus with signs of myocardial inflammation. Cardiol Young. 2016 Jun; 26: 1021-4.
- Tague L, Donofrio MT, Fulgium A, McCarter R, Limperopoulos C, Schidlow DN. Common Findings inLate-Gestation Fetal Echocardiography. J Ultrasound Med. 2017; 36:2431-2437.
Class of 2016 Publications
- Clark BC, Georgekutty J, Berul CI. Myocardial ischemia secondary to synthetic cannabinoid (K2) use inpediatric patients. J Pediatr. 2015 Sept: :757-761.
- Clark, BC, Berul CI. Arrhythmia diagnosis and management throughout life in congenital heart disease.Expert Review of Cardiovascular Therapy. 2016; 14 (3): 301-320.
- Clark, BC, Krishnan, A, McCarter, R, Scheel, J, Sable, C, Beaton, A. Using a low-risk population toestimate the specificity of the WHF criteria for the diagnosis of rheumatic heart disease. Journal of theAmerican Society of Echocardiography. 2016; 29 (3): 253-258.
- Clark B, Cunningham M, Sinha P, Kanter J, Donofrio M. Anomalous origin of the left coronary artery:late pediatric presentation of a rare disease. Open Journal of Clinical and Medical Case Reports. 2016.
- Cunningham M, Doroshow D, Olivieri L, Moak M. Junctional ectopic tachycardia secondary tomyocarditis associated with sudden cardiac arrest. Heart Rhythm Case Reports. 2016.
- Cunningham ME, Donofrio MT, Peer SM, Zurakowski D, Jonas R, Sinha P. Optimal timing for elective early primary repair of tetralogy of Fallot- analysis of intermediate term outcomes. The Annals of Thoracic Surgery. 2016.
- Cunningham ME, Donofrio MT, Peer SM, Zurakowski D, Jonas R, Sinha P. Influence of age and weight on technical repair of tetralogy of Fallot. The Annals of Thoracic Surgery. 2016.
- Cunningham ME, Berger JT. Pediatric Pulmonary hypertensive crisis medications: A stepping stone forthe future. Pediatric Critical Care Medicine. 2016; 17 (5): 465-6.
- Ploutz M, Lu JC, Scheel J, Webb C, Ensing GJ, Aliku T, Lwabi P, Sable C, Beaton A. Handheldechocardiographic screening for rheumatic heart disease by non-experts. Heart. 2015.
- May LJ, Ploutz M, Hollander SA, Reinhartz O, Almond CS, Chen S, Maeda K, Kaufman BD, Yeh J,Rosenthal DN. A novel pediatric treatment intensity score: development and feasibility in heart failurepatients with ventricular assist devices. J heart and lung transpl. 2015: 509-15.
- Bradley-Hewitt T, Dantin A, Ploutz M, Aliku T, Lwabi P, Sable C, Beaton A. The impact ofechocardiographic screening for rheumatic heart disease on patient quality of life. The Journal ofPediatrics. 2016; 16 : 1-7.