What patients and families need to know
Advances in Pediatric Emergency Medicine
Upcoming conference: Jan. 24, 2020
This conference will provide participants with updates and current knowledge on selected topics concerning the care of acutely ill pediatric patients. Topics are chosen to have particular relevance to urgent and emergency care. A combination of didactic lectures, interactive audience participation and workshop format is presented. Upon completion of the program, participants will be able to:
- Identify key aspects of trauma care and management in the pediatric setting.
- Appreciate the implications of under-vaccination and the resurgence of measles as a childhood infectious disease.
- Discuss a trauma-informed approach to urgent and emergent pediatric care.
- Describe key research-based updates concerning pediatric status epilepticus.
- Recognize and describe the manifestations of, and treatment for, pediatric rashes.
- Learn a systematic approach to identify child abuse in the medical setting.
- Develop approaches to, and opportunities for, collaboration between emergent/urgent care providers and a child's primary care team.
- Practice hands-on resuscitation skills and stabilization interventions through simulation.
- Perform pediatric wound management and laceration care techniques.
- Understand the role played by, and features specific to, pediatric transport medicine.
- Status epilepticus: What should we be doing in 2018?, James Chamberlain, M.D.
- Pediatric readiness in our community, Karen O'Connell, M.D., M.Ed.
- Disaster preparedness for the pediatric provider: Understanding expectations and managing reality, Joelle Simpson, M.D.
- Pediatric elbow injuries, L. Kaleb Friend, M.D.
- Wound care 101: Basics of laceration management and abscess care, Jennifer Q.Tran
- Current practices in pediatric burn care, Elizabeth Waibel, MSN, CPNP
- Asthma in the community emergency department: A collaboration success story, Theresa Walls, M.D., M.P.H.
- 2015 AHA guidelines pediatric updates, Karen O'Connell, M.D., M.Ed.
- Pediatric emergency management triage and resource distribution during a mass casualty, Joelle Simpson, M.D. & Katherine Dunne, MSIV
- Pediatric surgical emergencies: What's new?, Randall S. Burd, M.D., Ph.D.
- Improving the quality of pediatric sepsis care, Kathleen Brown, M.D. & Jeanne Pettinichi, MSN, RN
- Ten best articles of 2016, Kristen Breslin, M.D.
- Wellness in emergency medicine, Rita A. Manfredi, M.D., FACEP
Go to Innovation District
Advances in Medicine at Children's National Hospital
Read about the latest and greatest in pediatric research and clinical innovations from Children’s National.