Coronavirus Update:What patients and families need to know
The Children's National Research Institute
- Metabolism and Obesity
- Airway and Lung Diseases
- Global Health
- M.P.H., Epidemiology and Biostatistics, George Washington University School of Public Health and Health Services, Washington, DC, (2000-2003)
- Fellowship, Pediatric Emergency Medicine, Children’s National Medical Center, Washington, DC, (2000-2003)
- Residency, Pediatrics, University of Rochester Medical Center, Golisano Children’s Hospital at Strong Memorial Hospital, Rochester, NY, (1997-2000)
- M.D., Medicine, University of Maryland School of Medicine, Baltimore, MD, (1993-1997)
- B.S., Pre-medicine, The Pennsylvania State University, University Park, PA, (1989-1993)
Professor of Emergency Medicine, The George Washington University School of Medicine and Health Sciences
Professor of Pediatrics, The George Washington University School of Medicine and Health Sciences
Professor of Genomics and Precision Medicine, The George Washington University School of Medicine and Health Sciences
Robert J. Freishtat, M.D., M.P.H., is Senior Investigator in the Center for Genetic Medicine of the Children’s National Research Institute. He is also a Professor with Tenure in Pediatrics and Genomics and Precision Medicine at The George Washington University School of Medicine and Health Sciences.
He received his M.D. from the University of Maryland School of Medicine and residency training in Pediatrics at the University of Rochester Strong Memorial Hospital. This was followed by a clinical fellowship in Pediatric Emergency Medicine at Children’s National. During this time, he completed a M.P.H. in Epidemiology and Biostatistics at The George Washington University School of Public Health and Health Services. He has remained on faculty at Children’s National for more than one decade during which time he has served in a joint clinical and applied research role.
Dr. Freishtat’s research has been funded continuously by the National Institutes of Health since 2003. He is the principal investigator for international collaboratives studying injury/repair in the lung and systems biology investigations in obesity. He has authored or co-authored more than 100 articles and book chapters in the fields of lung injury, asthma, obesity and emergency medicine. In addition, he was a recipient of the 2011 International Klosterfrau Award for Research of Airway Diseases in Childhood. Dr. Freishtat is Past-President of the American Federation for Medical Research and is an active member of the American Thoracic Society and Society for Pediatric Research.