Healthy Generations Program
The Healthy Generations Program is a "teen-tot" program that provides medical care, family planning, case management, social work, and mental health for young parents and their children in the Washington, DC area. We want to make sure young mothers and fathers have the support they need to raise healthy and happy children. We also help teens with their needs, including education and career counseling.
Our Services for Parents and Children
We offer health care and related services for young parents up to 18 years old and their children and for parents up to 19 years old with a child who has special needs.
Care for Infants and Children
- Care during illnesses
- Developmental assessments
- Well-child physicals
Care for Teen Parents
- Family planning services/birth control
- Gynecologic care
- Parenting education
- Psychosocial and nutritional services
Other Resources for Teens
- A free parent education binder
- A free career booklet
- A free book for your child children at every check-up between 6 months and 6 years
- Information on the developmental status of your children
- A photo of you and child at each visit
Our team also educates new parents about:
- Important health issues, including the prevention of sexually transmitted infections such as HIV
- Problem-solving skills, violence prevention, academics, and high school graduation
- Safety and nutrition so their child can grow well and stay healthy
We also connect parents with community resources and services, such as the Women, Infant, and Children program.
Compared to city and national averages, teen parents who are enrolled in this program are more likely to be in school, more likely to graduate from high school, and much less likely to become pregnant again. In addition, their children have higher immunization rates and increased enrollment in Head Start.
Parents can find the Healthy Generations Programs at the following locations: