As your child grows and develops, their health care needs change.
At Children's Health Centers, we offer a variety of pediatric and specialty care services for your adolescent, including:
- Well check-ups, vaccinations and flu shots
- Sick visits/same day appointments available
- Care for minor injuries and illnesses
- New patient evaluations
- Comprehensive adolescent health care
- Care for children with disabilities
- Evaluation and counseling for behavioral, emotional and learning problems
- Specialty care for asthma, mental health, obesity and sexual health
- Developmental testing and screening
- School, sports and camp physicals
- School health forms
- Hearing and vision screening
- Help with Medicaid applications
- Prescription refills
- On-site psychology services (available at some locations)
- WIC-special supplemental food program for women, infants and children (available at some locations)
- Assistance connecting with needed community services
- Referrals to Children’s National specialists
Whole Bear Care
Whole Bear Care facilitates the care of the whole child, mind and body, by offering behavioral health services at the same location as your child’s primary care provider. The experienced Whole Bear Care team of licensed psychologists provides behavioral health consultation and some short-term follow-up for children, adolescents and young adults. (Available at most Children's Health Centers)
As your child continues to grow, their medical needs will continue to change. Just because your child has become a teenager does not mean he or she needs medical care any less frequently than when he or she was younger. Our doctors and nurse practitioners specialize in adolescent health and the focus is on the total health of our adolescent and young adult patients.
We have several programs and services available to teens, such as waiting room sessions and workshops on topics, including:
- Dating, friendships
- HIV, STIs and pregnancy
- Peer pressure
- Puberty, reproductive health
- Teen health
- Violence, bullying and conflict negotiation
Referrals for Specialty Care
As your child grows and develops, their health care needs change. Our Children’s Health Centers offer primary care “plus,” providing children in the District of Columbia with a single medical home that provides assessment, basic treatment and care resources for primary care needs, as well as for specialty care, including for mental health, asthma, dental health, teen pregnancy, obesity and more.
If your child needs additional specialty care, our practices will work with your family to connect you to the best providers. Depending on your insurance plan, your child may need a referral from your pediatrician. Referrals for specialists can be sent electronically or via a hard copy referral. After you have seen the specialist, your primary care provider is available to review the recommendations made and to help coordinate ongoing care for your child.
School-Based Health Centers
The school-based health centers at Coolidge, Dunbar and Ballou senior high schools provide a full array of primary and preventive care services, as well as dental and mental health services, for students attending these high schools.
The centers are under the direction of Program Manager Jatoya Manget, NP.