Coronavirus Update:What patients and families need to know
The HSC Health Care System
Feeding and Nutrition
Program type: Inpatient and Outpatient
Our goal is to make sure your child gets the right type and amount of food, formula, or breast milk for growth and development. If your child is staying at The HSC Pediatric Center, our team of speech-language therapists and registered dietitians will provide you with a feeding plan specially designed for your child. They will work with you to set goals for your child and develop a nutrition plan for when you return home. If your child is receiving a special formula, your dietitian will provide you with a recipe and teach you how to make the formula once you return home.
The HSC Pediatric Center also offers these services on an outpatient basis. A registered dietitian will work with you to create an individualized nutrition plan for your child. We also have a family weight management program called Healthy Habits that focuses on healthy eating, physical activity, and communication.
Many children who are part of our feeding and nutrition program work closely with our speech therapists.
- Evaluation of feeding and swallowing skills
- Review of feeding and nutrition issues from birth
- General health and medical review, including weight and height
- Careful selection of the right nutrition plan for your child
- Evaluation of any need for a feeding tube and training on its use
- Individual nutrition and weight management counseling
- Connection to community resources
- Weight gain or weight loss that is appropriate for each child
- Nutritional management of medical conditions such as diabetes, celiac disease, high cholesterol and high blood pressure
- Management of food allergies
- Progress toward age-appropriate foods
- Fewer problems choking, coughing, and gagging with foods
- Increase in the amount and variety of foods accepted
How to Get Medical Services and Therapy
Learn how you can get Medical Services and Therapy at the HSC Pediatric Center.