Coronavirus Update:What patients and families need to know
The HSC Health Care System
How to Get Home Care Services
HSC Home Care offers family-centered care in the home. We offer home care services for people living in the Washington, DC area. Find out which HSC Home Care services is right for your loved one.
If you live in Washington, DC:
- HSC Home Care provides services for infants, children, teens and young adults up to age 21 who have complex healthcare needs and disabilities, like developmental delays, cerebral palsy and brain injuries due to disease, injury and premature birth, and other medical issues. Our services allow your loved ones to get the medical care they need in the comfort of their home.
If you live in Maryland:
- HSC Health & Residential Services, a part of HSC Home Care, provides care and services for children and adults of all ages with complex medical needs. Our services allow your loved ones to get the medical care they need in the comfort of their own home.
Home care services must be ordered by your loved one’s doctor. There are two ways to get home care services:
- If your family member is in the hospital, talk with your discharge planner or case manager for help with getting the referral from the doctor.
- If your family member is not in a hospital, talk with your doctor about getting a referral. You can call our office if you need help talking with your doctor.
- If you do not have a referral from the doctor, but you need home care services for a loved one, you can call us for help. In that case, we can speak with your doctor to try to get a referral for you.
- Private duty nursing is also an option for all our clients. Some of the services may require a doctor's orders while others may not.
There are four ways to pay for your home care services:
- Private health insurance. Our services are covered by many health insurance plans. Check our list of health plans to see if your loved one's plan is covered by HSC. If you don't see the plan listed, contact us. We may be able to help.
- Medicare/Medicaid (Washington, DC). If your loved one has Medicare or Medicaid, your home care services may be a covered benefit.
- Private pay. If your insurance will not cover home care, we will consider private pay as a payment option.
- Long-term care insurance. If your loved one has long-term care insurance, your home care services may be a covered benefit. Please contact us so that we can assist you. [Note: Long-term care insurance is different from regular health insurance. It covers care that is not usually covered by health insurance, Medicare, or Medicaid.]
Read about your rights as a HSC Home Care client.
We accept many health insurance plans. If you don’t see your loved one's health plan listed, contact us. We may be able to help or work with your insurance company.
- AmeriHealth Caritas DC
- CareFirst BlueCross BlueShield
- DC MedStar Family Choice
- Health Services for Children with Special Needs, Inc.
- Kaiser Permanente Health Plan
- Kaiser Permanente MAS (Mid-Atlantic States)
- Trusted Health Plan
HSC Home Care introduces in-home credit card payments. Our staff is now able to accept major credit cards and process payments or co-payments in the comfort of your home.