What patients and families need to know
Direct messaging is secure, electronic point-to-point communication and sharing of patient information between certified providers, across electronic health record (EHR) vendors. Health care providers and organizations are certified to participate in direct messaging by DirectTrust, a nonprofit alliance of health care providers and health care information technology organizations.
Benefits of Direct Over Traditional Types of Messaging
- Improved patient outcomes due to stronger integration of care
- Increased security and privacy of patient information
- Enhanced productivity due to ease and speed of sharing information
- Additional analytics: Documents shared through direct messaging are searchable (unlike scanned or faxed documents)
- Greater revenue: Helps providers meet MU Stage 2 Incentive Requirement and uses fewer staff hours
- Simpler and faster process for patients
- Environmentally friendly: Uses no paper
Over 1.5 million health care providers, including physicians, hospitals and labs, use direct messaging to advance integration of care. To grow your direct network, you can request direct addresses from care partners. Ask your provider engagement specialist for a template.
For more information and to obtain direct addresses, contact: