COVID-19 Update:Learn where you can get your child vaccinated, as well as other important facts about COVID-19.
Medical Education Pathway
Residents participating in the Medical Education Pathway will be able to apply core principles of curriculum design, evaluation of learner performance, program evaluation and educational scholarship. They will design, implement and present a curriculum or scholarly project and reflect on opportunities for involvement in medical education as part of their future careers.
Pediatric residents regularly lead educational activities with fellow residents, medical students and other members of the medical team. This pathway seeks to build on these activities and experiences through opportunities in curriculum design, direct observation and feedback of one’s educational activities and faculty mentorship.
Experiences include the following: a two week elective focused on curriculum development and educational research design; small group curriculum design and/or research project; facilitation of different types of learning activities; mentorship from faculty who have completed the Master Teacher Leadership Development Program at George Washington University or comparable graduate coursework in medical education; participation in educational committees; and quarterly meetings to learn best practices and discuss innovations in medical education. Residents who successfully complete all elements of the pathway will receive a Certificate in Medical Education.
Learning Objectives of the Pathway
- Define educational scholarship
- Appraise resources in the education literature
- Design, implement and present a scholarly project in medical education
- Outline and apply essential principles of curriculum design
- Identify best practices of clinical teaching
- Use curricular best practices to design and facilitate a brief, focused teaching session
- Employ varied types of learning methods and activities
- Outline and apply essential principles of educational program evaluation
- Design a system for evaluation of learner performance
- Describe potential career paths and opportunities in medical education
- Build an Educator Portfolio